Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How to switch back to an Onboard VGA

• Please log in to reply

freakwizard

freakwizard

• PipPip
  • 40 posts
Alryt. So I recently found out that my Nvidia Geforce 6200 is busted! Why? Because every time I play a game, the screen goes all wonky and the graphics get messed up and the computer freezes. I thought it was a software problem, so I updated the drivers. Turned out that even with the fresh update, the game graphics were still going all funny. But the weird part is, that I can simply use the computer with no problem at all and watch movies perfectly without any weird thing happening to the screen. It only happens when I play games. And I've concluded that the GeForce 6200 probably got overheated one day (its pretty hot here) and just busted itself. So I've decided to switch back to integrated graphics.

Now I know my PC has a integrated graphics card because I used it all along before I got the 6200. But the problem is, it doesn't seem to work! I've tried plugging in the monitor wire to the integrated graphic slot (while the 6200 was still inside) and it didn't work and nothing appeared on the screen, but I could hear the computer start up perfectly..

So I realized that before I installed the 6200 I had uninstalled the drivers for the integrated graphics. So I decided to reinstall it. So I got hold of the drivers and when it started up, it said it couldn't locate any hardware that needed these drivers. I went into the device manager as well and alas! There was only the 6200 located under the Display Adapters title. No Onboard VGA.

As far as I can remember is that the onboard VGA was an VIA S3 Savage. So help me out G2G? :) How can I detect the onboard VGA and start using it again?

Advertisements

DaffyKantReed

DaffyKantReed

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts
The BIOS probably has a setting to choose between the AGP and integrated graphics. You should be able to get 800x600 resolution even without the correct drivers being installed.

freakwizard

freakwizard

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

The BIOS probably has a setting to choose between the AGP and integrated graphics. You should be able to get 800x600 resolution even without the correct drivers being installed.

Well I tried that. I went all over the BIOS looking for some kind of option. I found one which said "Init Display First" and gave me the option between "PCI" and "AGP". But later I found out that was just for the computer to recognize quickly where the video card was at. Right?

And btw my BIOS is a Pheonix - Award WorkstationBIOS v6.00PG
System Model : PM800-8237
System Manufacturer: VIA Technologies, Inc.

DaffyKantReed

DaffyKantReed

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts
Correct. With the 6200 removed, the onboard should be working. Clear the CMOS and see if it helps.

freakwizard

freakwizard

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Correct. With the 6200 removed, the onboard should be working. Clear the CMOS and see if it helps.

I shall try it first thing in the morning and report to you! :)
(If something gets messed up, I can use my dad's laptop to report to you)

DaffyKantReed

DaffyKantReed

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts
10-4

freakwizard

freakwizard

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

10-4

Awesome! Thanks man it worked :) I'm now on my integrated VGA :) Just need to check whether I get the same graphic problem on the integrated too. Then it's something definitely up with the system files on windows yeah? Cos my integrated has always worked properly.

DaffyKantReed

DaffyKantReed

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts
Not necessarily. A power supply or motherboard issue could easily cause video problems as well. My guess is you have this one sorted. Good stuff, FW.

freakwizard

freakwizard

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Not necessarily. A power supply or motherboard issue could easily cause video problems as well. My guess is you have this one sorted. Good stuff, FW.

Ah! I shall keep that in mind. But its all sorted :) I played Warcraft 3 on pretty high graphics and for like 19 mins and it was all good =D No problems at all and a bit faster too than with the 6200. Guess the 6200 was really messed up!
Thanks a lot for the help man :) I appreciate it :)