Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

iconicmoronic

• Please log in to reply

Iconicmoronic

Iconicmoronic

• PipPip
  • 92 posts
I bought a laptop to do regular computer and journal stuff, and use my PC for the net. So, following that rationale I took the ethernet card out of my laptop. I had an old E-machine laptop and had spilled coffee on it and so the other night I decided to salvage of it what I could. The ethernet card was not damaged. So I popped it into the Lenovo. The message I got on boot (as in the laptop would not even boot to Desktop) was unauthorized ethernet card (non-verbatim), please replace card and restart computer. Is that a compatability thing or is it a security parameter in place by the laptop? The boot options on the PC were set to attempt network and card interface booting last and the hard drive is loaded with Win 7.

Edited by Iconicmoronic, 15 April 2010 - 03:20 PM.

Advertisements

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
Unlike desktop PCs, laptops are often fitted at the factory with custom-made & model-specific hardware, including the BIOS chip which will halt at some point in the boot process if a "foreigner" is detected.
The ability, therefore, to cannibalise one laptop to repair another is very limited in scope, especially if they are different brands.