Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Is this even possible? (troubleshooting/restoring old laptop)

• Please log in to reply

schmidi

schmidi

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hello all,

I've got an old Toshiba Satellite (2435-s255) that has been down and out for a few years. It would be cool to get it running again, but I am stumped. This may be an impossible challenge but I will list out everything I can discern and see what you guys think.
Here is what is happening:
-- the initial problem was that I would get a BSOD, immediately after Windows loading bar graphic (XP), stating c000218 (see this thread http://phorums.com.a...p/t-135305.html ) which appears to be a corrupt registry error
-- The Toshiba will post to bios, I can update settings, it will save them upon restart. (CMOS ok)
-- RAM checks out fine, tried swapping out sticks and all work. (RAM ok)
-- CD/DVD drive is totally nonfunctional. (unable to access factory disks/boot from factory discs on this laptop)
-- I managed to completely delete all partitions by swapping out this HD into another laptop (a newer model Toshiba) and running that computer's factory disc utilities.
-- I was unable to reformat the dead laptop's HD using the dead L's factory discs in the newer laptop (gave me ASCI character error saying WRONG MACHINE, kinda funny)
*put newly wiped HD back into dead laptop.
-- after posting/Toshiba splash screen, it drops to DOS and says some message about Realtek Ethernet EMX...basically some type of NIC failure. This message cycles in infinite loop
-- Have tried booting with factory discs using an external CD drive...No luck, just keeps repeating the NIC error

So, the only thing I can think of doing at this point (besides just throwing it away) is to:
-- buy an external 2.5" enclosure
-- format it via the factory discs using another computer...

But is that even possible? Or is there an easier method that I am just not seeing here?

Thank you for any advice you may have.

Advertisements

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
You got "wrong machine" error because factory recovery discs are locked to a specific model, so even if the newer laptop is made by the same company, it would also have to be the exact same model for those recovery discs to work.

Your final idea also won't work as recovery discs will not install on to a drive inside an external enclosure.

schmidi

schmidi

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Oh man, even that is not an option...Well, funeral time.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
You need the cd/dvd to work to accomplish pretty much anything you are attempting.

You most likely can not boot from USB because the laptop is to old. You have to have that option in the bios.
And as already stated the recovery discs are need to be used on that laptop only.

Try a google search for a drive for it.

123runner