Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Install XP on a different HD and not have to reinstall all my software

• Please log in to reply

Orurt

Orurt

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
In the process of installing a new video card and the ensuing tech support, my WinXP Pro has become damaged to the point that it has to be reinstalled. Of course, it is a long tedious task to reinstall all my software.

I want to install an additional hard drive and then install my WinXP Pro onto that, and leave my initial drive to store my data.

I want to be able to do that and not have to reinstall all my software. Is it possible to do that please?

And what do I have to do re master or slave etc please?

Thanks

Edited by Orurt, 16 April 2010 - 08:05 AM.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Not possible to do.
What is the issue with your current OS? Instead of reinstalling have you tried a Repair Installation to fix the problem?
Please explain the exact issue you are having and maybe I can then assist you.
Saying the OS is damaged is a very vague description.

Orurt

Orurt

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
I bought a new Radeon HD 4350 PCIE video card and had problems installing it. The reason for buying it was that I want to watch videos etc on my HD tv and needed an HDMI port.

So, the problem manifests itself in the "Display Properties/Settings. I can't set up the monitor and TV so that I can use either as a monitor. Right now, one can be the monitor. And the other just displays my wallpaper.

The tech support people took me through getting the uptodate drivers. And had me do all the different settings. None of which did the trick. The tech guy told me I have a serious problem in XP and that it will have to be reinstalled.

I'll try the "Repair Installation" now, and will let you know if it has helped.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Not knowing the make and model of your system I am at a disadvantage.
Is this a name brand system or a custom built?

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
I would try a sfc /scannow from the command line first before going through a repair installation.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
That would be a good start also. The problem is without knowing if there is a actual XP OS disk or if we are dealing with a branded system the sfc and\or repair may not be possible.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Give this a try and see if it helps.

Go Start and then to Run ("Start Search" in Vista),
Type in: sfc /scannow
Click OK (Enter in Vista).
Have Windows CD/DVD handy.
If System File Checker (sfc) finds any errors, it may ask you for the CD/DVD.
If sfc does not find any errors in Windows XP, it will simply quit, without any message.
In Vista you will receive the following message: "Windows resource protection did not find any integrity violations".

For Vista users ONLY: Navigate to C:\Windows\Logs\CBS folder. You'll see CBS.log file.
Usually, it's pretty big file, so upload it to Flyupload, and post download link.

If you don't have Windows CD....
This applies mostly to Windows XP, since Vista rarely requires use of its DVD while running "sfc"
Note This method will not necessarily work as well, as when using Windows CD, because not always ALL system files are backed up on your hard drive. Also, backed up files may be corrupted as well.

Go Start and then Run
type in regedit and click OK

Navigate to the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup

You will see various entries Values on the right hand side.

The one we want is called: SourcePath

It probably has an entry pointing to your CD-ROM drive, usually D and that is why it is asking for the XP CD.
All we need to do is change it to: C:
Now, double click the SourcePatch setting and a new box will pop up.
Change the drive letter from your CD drive to your root drive, usually C:
Close Registry Editor.

Now restart your computer and try sfc /scannow again!

Thanks to Broni for the instructions

Orurt

Orurt

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
My system is custom built. This is what's in it:

Motherboard Asus P5GC 1945GC MATX
BIOS American Megatrends Inc. 0401
CPU Intel Pentium Dual CPU E2200 @ 2.20 GHz
Memory 2 GB PC-6400
Video Card Radeon HD 4350 PCIE 2.0
Sound Card Creative SB Audigy
Ethernet D-Link DFG-538TX 10/100 adapter
Internal HD 1 Terabyte SATA (The disk is partitioned so that XP has it's own partition, and the rest is for data)

I have a legit OEM WinXP Pro installation cd.

Edited by Orurt, 16 April 2010 - 05:59 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK then you should be able to follow the instructions from post #7 with no problems. This will replace or fix any corrupted or missing system files.