Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Finished build but with problems ... Any help appreciated.

• Please log in to reply

Sky347

Sky347

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello,
I just finished my build but I'm having problems. I don't have an image. The motherboard lights up, the CPU fan spins, the video card fan spins, the case fans spin and the lights light up, and even the keyboard lights light up. So I know everything is getting power but still there is no image on the screen. :)

I started with it hooked up to the TV by a HDMI cable, then switched to the RGB cable, and finally to a computer monitor with the RGB cable and still nothing all three times. In addition, the motherboard speaker isn't beeping.

I am running an Asus Maximus III Formula motherboard, i5-661 CPU, OCZ Reaper HPC 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 memory, Asus EN9800GT/DI/512MD3 GeForce 9800 GT 512MB 256-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 video card, Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 ST31500341AS 1.5TB 7200 RPM SATA hard drive, and a Diablotek RPM series RPM1050 1050W ATX Power Supply.

Any commits or help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

Advertisements

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Hi Sky347 :)

Lets see if we can get you going.
This is going to be some trial and error.

I am assuming that you have a "no post beep".
I would verify that you have the speaker connected properly.

There are generally 4 major things it could be.
1. Ram
2. Processor
3. Video card
4. PSU

You have more than 1 ram so therefore try with only ram stick. Then try swapping the ram stick.
Do you hear the CD drives or hard drive start?
Try re-seating all the power cables and data cables.
Go in to bios and set to default all settings.
Make sure that your processor/ CPU is mounted properly. No bent pins and you have used thermopaste on the heat sink.

Your board could be shorted to the case.

Hook up the very basics, a "bench test":

* Remove the motherboard from the case and place it on a piece of cardboard
* Install only the CPU with heatsink and fan (remember to use thermal paste and plug in the fan)
* Install only 1 stick of ram in dimm 1 (consult your motherboard manual for which slot is to be used)
* Hook up the Power Supply (there should be a 20 or 24pin connector, and a 4 or 8pin connector)
* Use onboard video, (if not available, use a video card)
* Use any momentary case switch, or have your case close enough to install it's case switch
* Make sure there is a case speaker connected, many modern motherboards have a onboard speaker
* Connect a ps2 mouse and keyboard along with the monitor
* Power the system on

DO NOT hook up the hard drive, CD/DVD, case fans, lights, or anything else not mentioned above.

If the system does not power on, replace the 1 stick of RAM with the other stick. Are you getting any kind of beep codes? Do you get any video? Can you get to the BIOS? (Consult motherboard manual on how to enter the BIOS for your motherboard) Do the fans remain on, but no video?
You should at least get POST. With no hard drive connected you will get an error.

123runner