Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

DVD will not play movies

• Please log in to reply

Belzm

Belzm

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi, I am new.

I run Windows XP Prof with no service packs on. I was updating Skype with a very insistent updater and when it was done I lost my Avast Anti virus, it was there but not working, and I could not get DVD Shrink to load. So I firstly reloaded Windows and did a repair.

When I was able to do so, I scanned for malware and found a trojan which was easily deleted. I suspect it was in the Skype package I downloaded.

It took me over a week to get everything back up and running, except the DVD Ram.

I can view data discs on it, but I cannot get movies on. My WMV10 is also not working and will not play any movie clips. I put Real player on, same thing. I get an unknown error message with WMV10 and it shuts down.

I have looked at services and IMAPI is on manual. When I boot up the DVD and CD drives do not light up, so perhaps OS is not picking them up.

I have cyberlink on but it cannot play movies.

Skype is still a problem, I can speak to my contacts, but cannot load Webcam. It freezes and Skype crashes and has to be restarted again.

I feel Skype has something to do with this, but just cant figure out what.

My player is LG HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA 4167B

I would really welcome any help I can get.

Other than no Movies, the OS is working really well. Thanks in advance for any help.

Belz

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
The first thing to do is to download the full Updates to Service Pack 3.
Support for XP has as of 2 days ago (I think) WITHOUT Sp2 at least finished. With SP2 it finsihes in July this year.
Before you start on the cycle of updates and presuming you are using IE. If you are using Firefox it will not work, run this, disable your pop up blocker.
http://onecare.live....-Us/default.htm
You may well find that the updates will solve the problem, as it will very likely detect the required update to WMP

Belzm

Belzm

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks for your reply. I am using Firefox. I am not an expert, so do not really understand why using Firefox will not work.

I have IE explorer 6, but never use this.

I hear that SP3 will lock me out of the internet with all its securities and I need XP Anti Spy on to close all these off. I have this on at present.

Also, do I need to load SP 1 and 2 before I load SP3?

Thanks very much for your help.

Belzm

Belzm

Belzm

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Just noticed that you are from Anglesey, the Lucky Isle. My family come from Beaumaris. Its nice to meet you.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Only because that link I sent you will only work on Internet Explorer.
The use of Firefox will not affect the updates. You will just not receive the update for IE8 or of course IE7
I would go to Microsoft Updates, check for updates and then select the ones you wish, you may decide not to accept the Windows Live etc.
I would most certainly accept all the High Priority Security Updates.
The site itself will offer those required and suitable to your system.
It is likely to be in excess of 75 updates.

NB I personally would still run the link first.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 18 April 2010 - 12:45 PM.

Belzm

Belzm

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thank you for that, I already have Sp 1, 2 and 3 downloaded, just not applied them. I do not think it will help.

When I go to Device Manager on Systems Properties and right click on the DVD, the window that opens up will show the new box, but if I click on the tabs, the whole thing freezes and I have to end the program. There is something basically wrong with the installatiion of these two DVD and CD burners. I am more for reloading Windows, but must wait till I feel brave about it.

Let me know if you are thinking along those lines too, after the above. Thanks a lot. Hope I have not taken up too much of your time.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Install ALL the updates. Support for XP with SP1 has finished and with SP2 will finish shortly.
Additionally you may find that the updates solve the problem.
If they do NOT then try as below.
It is really no use proceeding until you have the updates and we then know what the situation is.

Try loading Windows in a clean boot state and see if things then work.
http://support.micro....com/kb/310353/
Follow the guidance on this link.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 18 April 2010 - 12:50 PM.