Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

SATA SUPORT

• Please log in to reply

havabong

havabong

• Pip
  • 9 posts
:tazz:

this has to one of the most frustrating problems i have had and have herd of
i have came across a lot of people that have had similer problems not the same but close anough but there solutions dont work for me

I had been running 2 sata hdd on my pc for a year.
My system crashed and left me with 2 paper waights
I bought a new western digital 200 gig hdd
now i am trying to install win xp and i cant because the sata drive cant be used in win xp with out loading the right drivers evan if i press F6 load the drivers it wont detect the hard drive.

im seriously lost i have a coupple of tech-nition freinds and their stumped
also they asked there boses and there stumped to

is there some thing im missing ???? i have searched every mesage board before posting this thred

ohh just to throw you im running windows me right now but thats something to do with me not needing sata suport it just runs sluggish.
Any one willing to rack there brain with me??????

i have tried every thing but a hammer but there is something where all looking past a reason why the drivers arnt being loaded some tech nition told me i might have to try load the driver a few 100 times before it will work so ever thing fits together in the right order (yer right ) that totaly gose againsed every thing i know about computers so i refuse to beleve that?????
;)

Advertisements

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
are you using a promise card (PCI) to connect the drives to, or onboard sata controllers?
in either case, you may not have the correct driver. if its a promise card, you may need a driver from them. if its onboard, do you know what chipset it is using? example- I helped someone here who was using the driver that came with his drive, but he needed to use the VIA SATA driver since his board had a VIA chipset.
also tell me if you are using PS2 keyboard or a USB. whenyou press F6, do you get a response?

havabong

havabong

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
OMG this is some thing that came up in a conversation with a not so skiled guy so i shruged it off because i have been posibly mis led in thinking it is promise there is a chip to the right of the sata plugs with via written on it would this mean your corect?

im useing a usb key board and i have loaded these drivers i just gota hit f lock

im gona laugh if the problem was only that, i have had some realy indepth convos with the guys who built this thing and they asured me it was useing a promise chipset

if it was the via chip set where would i get these drivers specific to my mb cause i have downloaded the promise drivers exsclusive for my board from msi plus i grabed the same files off a utility and driver disk suplied with my comp i would have thought thayd suply me with right one?

Edited by havabong, 20 May 2005 - 10:47 PM.

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
OK, you already know the keyboard trick! it took 3 of us here to figure that one out once... :tazz:

the via chip might be for the southbridge chipset, or it might be something else. whats the make/model of your mobo? we can look up the specifics of the board, and see what chipset its using.
are you using a promise card? I havent loaded to one of them personally, so I dont know all the details to get them going...but the concept should be the same.

nixx

nixx

• PipPipPip
  • 187 posts
lol, Ive also had the f-lock problem before... im sure you already have, but it almost has the same flavor as my recent problem with my single sata problem. read that thread, but make sure you are set up like me...the bios has to be set up to sata and the primary ide removed. also, make sure the sata socket (assuming its on the mb) is connected to SATA and not SATA_RAID. try taking out all the other devices except one sata and one cd drive on the secondary ide channel. make sure it is jumpered right (im not sure sata have jumpers, but its worth a shot) then make sure the bios didnt get reset.

Nixx

havabong

havabong

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
make/model

MSI/MS-6741

thats the board i needed to ring the dude who built it to check first
:tazz:

Edited by havabong, 21 May 2005 - 01:18 AM.

havabong

havabong

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
thanks nixx but i have alredy read your thred thats why i posted here the guy who helped u audio boy knew his stuff so i made my first post here because of that

i only have one set of sata ports

and the other settings are right its a driver issue

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
OK, MSI board. (thats what I use, I like em, for my P4)
that has the VIA 8237 southbridge. this is the same thing as that guy I mentioned who needed the via sata driver, so this should fix you up!

go to the VIA ARENA download page. you will have to select your OS, drivers, sata and raid drivers, then the 8237 driver (last one listed). download the one that can make a floppy, and run it, which will extract the drivers to a floppy disc for you.
use them during the windows install, and you should be good to go!
let me know how it goes...and thanx for the vote of confidence! :tazz:

havabong

havabong

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Cheers man i knew it was only some thing simple like that hope fully thats the fix i will report back lucky i guess u had a freind with the same problem other wise i would not have checked
simple thing like that once again thanks for your time

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
Im thinking this will fix you up. that other guy was someone else doby and I helped out here.
I keep learning things too, its never ending with computers! :tazz:

Insanitystreak

Insanitystreak

• PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
True computers just keep getting betta meanin more people want to ruin it. A whole cycle.

nixx

nixx

• PipPipPip
  • 187 posts
as they say: Computers help us do stupid things faster!

Nixx

havabong

havabong

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Thanks for your help dude

Like you said it was just the wrong driver.

dose any one know why the msi web site diddent give a link to vias driver page
or why on the utility disk there was no via drivers just promise drivers like the web sites?

any way pc's going i got xp running not one issue at all

Thank You

this is the third time i wrote a mesage because every time i grabed the mouse i sliped on to the side button and sent the browser a few pages back and it clead what i i typed so it a bit shorter now

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
glad to hear your up and running! :tazz:

dont know why MSI didnt include those. my MSI mobo contained a floppy with the sata drivers, but no disc with the mobo drivers...easy enuf to download. I agree, if they dont have a link on their site for sata drivers, they should.