Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP "Setup is being restarted" ...

• Please log in to reply

CoolandCalm

CoolandCalm

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Background: I recently got an atapi.sys rootkit when my antivirus software was down for a few days (before renewing license). Then if I tried to seek it out with the antivirus software, afterwards the computer would only say that any file I tried to use was not a valid win32 application. I tried replacing the atapi.sys with a file from another computer but the problem remained. I did a stupid thing and deleted the atapi.sys file.

Problem: XP Repair instructions from http://www.michaelst...pairinstall.htm were fine until I got to the cd-key menu. I tried using the cd-key I had originally used to install the OS on the comp and several other valid keys. All of them were found to be invalid. With nothing I could do and stuck at the cd-key screen, I tried rebooting the computer (Since the OS had been previously installed and now the missing files fixed, I thought all was well). Now whenever I start the computer I will see the blue screen of windows installation with the words "Setup is being restarted ..." and the computer will then proceed to a black screen where I can move my mouse, an error message appears and disappears in a split second (tried to videotape and slow down, but it was too fast), then the computer reboots and everything happens again.

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
You can perform a number of important XP repair procedures and avoid the XP repair which quite often fails anyway. Go to here and run the specified commands, trying to reboot after each step.