Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Building new comp suggestions

• Please log in to reply

Prominia

Prominia

• PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
I am building a new comp with a budget around $1,400. Going to be mostly used for gaming this is what i got so far. If anyone has any suggestions to make it better. So far its around $1,095 without tax or shipping. NOT INCLUDING: Ram, or Network Card. I would like to get 2 graphic cards in there if i have extra cash.

Intel Core i7-920 Bloomfield 2.66GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor Model BX80601920 ($280)

Intel Extreme Series DP55KG P55 LGA1156 ATX Desktop Motherboard ($200)

Radeon HD 5770 XFX ($160) (Maybe 2)

DDR3 6GB (Suggestions of what would be best?)

750-1000W Power Supply ($100-$200)

1.5 Tb Hard Drive ($110)

CD Drive/DVD drive ($30-$40)

Network Card (Need one that is compatible with Airport Extreme)

Fan (about $40)

Case ($100)

Windows 7 ($65)

Edited by Prominia, 16 April 2010 - 08:03 PM.

Advertisements

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
The motherboard you listed is not compatible with the i7 920 Socket 1366 CPU because it is a P55 Chipset and takes a socket 1156 CPU. I recommend this one buy Gigabyte. GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD3R LGA 1366 Intel X58 It offers SATA 6gb/s and USB 3.0 that were just released that are much faster. :)

Definitely go with Corsair for the PSU. Corsair 850watt Modular PSU

As for RAM, I like Corsair there too. RAM compatible with the motherboard I listed is CORSAIR XMS3 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3

Then go with a 6gb/s hard drive like this... Western Digital Caviar Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache

I'd say instead of going with two 5770's, just get one bigger and better card. Like this XFX 5870 Monster. This along with the i7 920 will handle any game out with no problems whatsoever. Even plenty of room for future games released.

FYI: I don't know much about Network cards. Generally the ones that come onboard with the motherboard are sufficient. Maybe you should start a new topic just for the network card???

Let me know what you are thinking. We can go from there and feel free to make suggestions, disagree, etc. The better I understand what you are wanting, the better I can help. :)

Prominia

Prominia

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
Im not sure if the Radeon 5870 is that much better than the 5770 price wise. I would be able to get 2 Radeon 5750 in there for less. Would i need an additional fan? So the new build would look like this. Any new suggestions are welcomed.

Intel Core i7-920($280)

CORSAIR XMS3 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 ($200)

Corsair 850watt Modular PSU ($170)

Western Digital Caviar Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache ($100)

Case ($100)

Windows 7 ($65)

GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD3R LGA 1366 Intel X58 Motherboard ($210)

XFX 5870 Monster ($420)

The total cost would be $1,585

Thanks for the help

Prominia

Prominia

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
Ok So this is the new build just a few quick questions.
Do I need to buy another fan?
Which would be better 2 Raedon HD 5770 or 1 XFX Monster?
Whats a good inexpensive cd/dvd drive?
Whats a good inexpensive case?

Intel Core i7-920 ($280)

GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD3R LGA 1366 Intel X58 Motherboard ($210)

Raedon HD 5770 ($160 each) (Two of them) OR XFX 5870 Monster ($420)

CORSAIR XMS3 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 ($200)

Corsair 850watt Modular PSU ($170)

Western Digital Caviar Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache ($100)

Fan (about $40)

Case ($100)

Windows 7 ($65)

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
Prominia, sorry for the delay. I had a really busy weekend. Just got home from work today. :)

The 5870 is the best option because as prices come down you can add a second 5870. A single one with play any game at high settings/high resolution. However, two 5770's in Crossfire perform better than a single 5870, but you are then maxed out. In order to upgrade you would have to purchase 2 new better cards. I think one 5870 for now is what I would do. Take a look at these charts that compare all the latest cards with 3dMark and other Games... HERE

Just about any cd/dvd burner from Newegg will do you good. Here is Samsung's, LG's, and Sony's which are the three I recommend most. All under $24.

A good case around $100 that provides good ventilation, lots of fans, and is pretty cool looking is the Antec 900. HERE. $99.99

Do I need to buy another fan?

No. I think you'll be fine with the stock cooling on the Antec 900 and the rest of the computers fans. If temps seem to high, then you can look at your options for adding a fan for the GPU or an After Market Heatsink for the CPU. You CPU will run pretty hot during gaming with just the stock heatsink and fan, but it won't over heat.

Have you thought about an aftermarket cooler for the CPU?

Prominia

Prominia

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
Ok thanks for all of the help. Do you think I am going to need an aftermarket cooler? and if so what would be a good one? I am thinking about overclocking, but i am unsure if i want to because i am not sure if it is worth it and i have never done it, so i am leaning towards not doing it.

DaffyKantReed

DaffyKantReed

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts

FYI: I don't know much about Network cards. Generally the ones that come onboard with the motherboard are sufficient. Maybe you should start a new topic just for the network card???

There's not much to know about onboard NICs. Windows 7 should have drivers for just about anything made. If not, the motherboard CD will have them. The price of a gigabit NIC is almost as low as 10/100.

Given a model and revision number, wireless or not, an Acme ABC123 Rev1 may use one chipset, like the Realtek RTL8139, where a Rev2 may use the VIA Rhine III. This can sometimes result in The Great Driver Hunt, which I'm sure you are all too familiar with.

Support for Linux varies, depending on the distro and kernel version.
(For those who have never utilized ndiswrapper, count your blessings.)

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
If you overclock, yes, you need an aftermarket cooler. If no, you will be fine without one. It's really up to you. Xigmatek makes a nice cheap cooler that peforms very well. HERE Another good one that is a bit more expensive (about double the cost) is Corsairs all in one water cooling CPU Cooler, the H50. HERE

Daffy,

I thought he meant a high dollar gaming network cards. :) Some enthusiasts pay a lot of money to improve their ping and such. :) I don't know anything about them.

Prominia,

If you didn't mean that, the Gigabyte board comes with Gigabit Ethernet, and that will suit you just fine. It's what I use. :)

Let me know if you have any more questions.

Prominia

Prominia

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
Im gonna stick with the onboard network card. I am not sure if I am going to overclock because i do not know too much about it but thank you for all of the help.

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts

thank you for all of the help.

You are welcome. Good Luck. :)

DaffyKantReed

DaffyKantReed

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts

Daffy,
I thought he meant a high dollar gaming network cards. :) Some enthusiasts pay a lot of money to improve their ping and such. :) I don't know anything about them.

"There's a sucker born every minute."

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts

"There's a sucker born every minute."

:)