Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Vaio VGN-N130G no brightness control with XP Pro

• Please log in to reply

AmericanoInPhils

AmericanoInPhils

• Pip
  • 9 posts
I recently hard my hard drive fail.... trash can type failure! This Vaio VGN-N130G came with Windows XP MCE 2005 installed (Media Center Edition). With the hardware crash I lost the MCE version of XP since Sony puts it on the hard drive and you do not get an installer disk.

During rebuild I installed XP Pro service pack 3. The Vaio utilities drivers are not fully compatible with XP Pro and at the same time even if I could get the old MCE I wouldnt want it due to so many OS changes to XP since then. They only built the one MCE version!

MY PROBLEM: I cannot change the brightness of my screen. (FN-F5 or F6). Does anyone know of a way for me to be able to controll brightness? I am having serious eye problems after a couple hours behind the computer and need a fix badly ... sunglasses just dont cut it! LOL

Thanks for any help

Advertisements

Mark D

Mark D

• PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
Howszit AmericanoinPhils?
Checking the Sony website for your notebook returns only Windows MCE & Vista as supported op systems. Hard to believe, but you may need to get a comfortable pair of sunglasses! What video system does your device manager report under the display? Perhaps the video manufacturer website might have a XP driver that will be compatible.

Hope this helps...

Good luck...

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,307 posts
The search's I did seem to indicate to install the chipset drivers 1st (which is always the recommended way).

Also indicated is that the MCE drivers should be compatible with XP.

Read what This Link has to say.

123runner

AmericanoInPhils

AmericanoInPhils

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Thanks people ... EVERYONE might find this interesting.

Because of this problem I have been thrown into a whole new way of not only looking at the problem but dealing with the problem and making life more comfortable at all times! I spend a considerable amount of time lately writing a piece of software and the screen is a huge problem on the eyes.

A few hours after writing this request for help I discovered this interesting piece of software that automatically changes the screen illumination while you are working! e.g. if your screen is dark it boosts the brightness and when you say pop open notepad with its huge white space then this little app will lower the brightness and save your eyes. The end result is a fairly consistant *intensity* of illumination saving your eyes. On Laptops and Notebooks it saves battery in a bog way. There is only one app like this on the entire net and this one is new and a bit crude but SERIOUSLY helps. It works on TFTs and LCDs as well as the notebook display. Beats the ehll out of having to manually adjust things but, as I say, this one is in its infancy and a bit slow and crude.

Nice to be independant of the manufacturers drivers too! Sony is now running a scam where they get a live "analyst" (guy who reads things from a book at a call center) chats with you beyond your 15 free minutes and then spends 20 or more minutes trying to talk you into a high priced service contract. EVEN Sony can no longer be trusted for quality products and services. TRUTH

Thanks for the help !

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,307 posts
Glad that you found something to work.

Could you give a link to what you found so others that find this topic could try it.

123runner

AmericanoInPhils

AmericanoInPhils

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I wil be glad to give the name and web address once I have tested it.. I dont wish to give bad information and, as I said, it is crude. I have been testing for about 12 hours now and am finding it undependable .... it miscalculates and the scren will suddenly go bright ... serious headache and problems so I had to return to my TFT monitor which has a mechanical dimmer

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,307 posts

I dont wish to give bad information

We appreciate that!

Thinks for the update.

Did you look at the site I linked to in the other post?

123runner

AmericanoInPhils

AmericanoInPhils

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
yes I did runner but I must be doing something wrong because I still cant get it to work.

I am now 12 hours searh deep into what appears to be a solution if I can find out how to use it! an API named DeviceIoControl

I write in Visual Basic 6 and if I can get the info in how to address the backlight I will write my own controller and even offer it free to those with this problem

:)

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,307 posts
Lets look at something.

Please Go to
1: STARTand the click on RUN
2: Type in devmgmt.msc
3: Click Enter
4. Look for any entries with Yellow Exclamation ! marks or Red X's

In your next reply please include those results

AmericanoInPhils

AmericanoInPhils

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
hehehe .. no yellow exclammations on my system
only red X is the WiFi I manually turned off
yes I am on top of my OS at all times

Thanks

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,307 posts

I did try it .... all of my drivers have been in place for months and the function key driver I only installed 3 days ago so yes it was last to go on and yes I installed the MCE one listed as well as trying the vista one first

Lets get this back in to the forum so others could possibly help.

Get the info on device manager please.
Then....
Lets see if we can get some system information.

Download and install PC Wizard 2010

Run the program and it will analyze your computer and then display the results.
In the upper left hand corner click on the floppy icon.
You will get a save as screen.
Change the range bullet "only this selection" to be "selected category".
Make sure that text is selected for format.
Click on ok and you will be given a spot to save it to.

Attach it to your response.

AmericanoInPhils

AmericanoInPhils

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
yes I did use Device Manager and use it daily thank you

I no longer want to "fix" the computer

I want very much to write my own independat control and be free of this dependency on other peoples drivers... once I have done that I can make an auto adjusting controlling later ... much better solution for me

guess I should close this thread ... need to find out how

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,307 posts
We never close threads so that others may view it.
With that said.

Congratulations. :) for a successful resolution for your issue. I am happy everything has been worked out for you. With that being said I am happy to say:

You are very welcome. I'm glad we could help and please let us know how everything works out for you.
If there is anything else we can do to help please feel free to ask. I appreciate that you allowed me to assist you with your issue and for your patience. Thank you for choosing GeeksToGo for help. :) :)
This issue now appears to be resolved.

If other members are reading this and have a similar problem please begin a New Topic and someone will assist you as soon as possible