Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer not booting in normal mode.

• Please log in to reply

pk3

pk3

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Been having this problem for a few hours now and have had no success in fixing it. The problem is that the computer will load to the black windows xp page, the bars on that page will load, and then it switches off that screen and prepares to load the desktop, but never does. The screen is frozen black. I can load the computer in safe mode and safe mode with networking, but that is it. I have not seen any error messages during startup/ blue screen.

I have tried these things to no avail:
- System restore
- Disk checking error thing (will not load past step 2 out of 5 during the error checking and actually made it where I could not use safe mode at all for a while)
- Using selective startup disabling anything but basics from loading
- Using diagnostic startup
- Using the RECOVERY disks that were made when computer was bought about a year ago (the first disk will load a blank grey screen as if it were going to work, but never loads)
- Using the recovery agent on the computer (says it is not available in safe mode)

Thoughts?

EDIT: Ok, I removed a ram stick and the computer loaded past the black windows xp screen to the password screen, where it let me put the password in, and then loaded my desktop back ground but NOTHING else (no desktop icons, start bar, etc). It will also not recognize my mouse after I load normal mode and have plugged in and restarted several times.

Edited by pk3, 17 April 2010 - 11:08 AM.

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
If pressing the F8 key during startup fails to give you the safe mode menu, you should try booting to a Microsoft XP setup CD.

when you get to the selective startup,
Press 'R' to open the Recovery Console, and run the command:
chkdsk /r

1. Watch for a Press any key to boot from CD... message similar to the one shown above.

2. Press a key to force the computer to boot from the Windows CD. If you do not press a key, your PC will continue to boot to the Windows XP installation that's currently installed on your hard drive. If this happens, simply reboot and try to boot to the Windows XP CD again.
Allow Windows XP to Begin the Setup Process
No user intervention is required in this step. Windows XP is loading a number of files in preparation for either a reinstallation of Windows XP or for use of the Recovery Console.

Note: Do not press a function key if asked to do so during this process. Those options are only necessary when installing Windows XP or reinstalling Windows XP and only then in certain circumstances.

When the Windows XP Professional/Home Setup screen appears, press R to enter Recovery Console.
The Recovery Console is now loading but needs to know which Windows installation to access. Most users only have a single Windows XP installation so the choice is usually clear.

To the Which Windows installation would you like to log onto question, press 1 and then Enter.
Enter the Administrator Password
To the Type the Administrator password request, enter the password and press Enter.

Note: If you do not have a password or Windows XP normally starts without asking for one, simply press Enter.
The Recovery Console is now fully loaded and the cursor should be sitting at the prompt, ready for a command, as shown in the screen shot above.

Make any changes necessary in the Windows XP Recovery Console. When complete, take out the Windows XP CD and type exit to restart the computer.
You will use this command,
Chkdsk Command Syntax:

chkdsk /r

If this does not let you back into windows XP then you will either have to reinstall windows, you may find you have a bad hard drive if windows will not install.

SRX660

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
after you run chkdsk /r
if you crash again...download and install WhoCrashed from [url="http://<a%20href="http://www.resplendence.com/download/whocrashedSetup.exe"%20target="_blank">http://www.resplende...exe</a>"]here[/url]..
This program checks for any drivers which may have been causing your computer to crash....

click on it...then run...then next...put a tick in accept...then next..put a tick in the don't create a start menu folder..then next...put a tick in create a desktop icon..then install.. then make sure there is a tick in launch whocrashed...then finish...then click Analyze ...
WhoCrashed will create report...you have to scroll down to see it
Copy and paste it into your next reply...

pk3

pk3

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
i do not have the windows xp disks

pk3

pk3

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Ok, I removed a ram stick and the computer loaded past the black windows xp screen to the password screen, where it let me put the password in, and then loaded my desktop back ground but NOTHING else (no desktop icons, start bar, etc). It will also not recognize my mouse after I load normal mode and have plugged in and restarted several times.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
did you run chkdsk /r yet...
click on start...then run...type in chkdsk /r press enter...
it going to say the disk is in use do you want to run it at next boot...say yes and reboot...
Chkdsk will display the specific stage it is checking as well as the percentage of completion of the stage. You cannot do anything else on your computer while chkdsk is running. When chkdsk is finished, it will automatically reboot your computer.
NOTE this can take a long time to complete..it may even appear to hang or get stuck at a certain % for a couple of hours...then complete
it may even back up and go over the same area...this is normal...let it run...there are 5 stages
DO NOT TURN OFF YOUR COMPUTER WHILE RUNNING CHKDSK or you can have severe problems...
then get memtest 86here ...this will test your memory...let it run for at least 2 hours...if you get any errors then the ram is bad and will have to be replaced...no errors after 2 hours.......then its probably good and we can try other things..
it will run until you press the escape key
the how to is here..

Edited by happyrock, 17 April 2010 - 04:57 PM.

pk3

pk3

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
chkdsk always get frozen at 7% stage four. i've let it sit there three times for about 2 hours each and it does not move past 7%.