Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP Blue Screen of Death: KERNEL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

WhiteJay17

WhiteJay17

• Pip
  • 8 posts
I have a Toshiba Satellite A35-S159 laptop running Windows XP. I've been sporadically encountering the Blue Screen of Death with KERNEL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR. The Stop Code given, with parameters, of my last encounter was: 0X0000007A (0XC03DD39C, 0XC000000E, 0XF74E7E52, 0X1A028860). It says something along the lines of it being related to atapi.sys.

After the blue screen, it reboots and usually throws up an error about PXE-E61: Media test failure, check cable. (I did remove and put the hard drive back in, didn't seem to make a difference). If I leave the computer off for a couple of hours or more, it will generally boot fine without a hitch. (Overheating, perhaps?)

It did manage to run Autochk once, which threw up a number of messages that I couldn't digest before they were gone and the system booted normally. While trying to find the system log which I thought would tell me what the messages were, the blue screen came up for the most recent time.

To throw a wrench in, a couple of days before the first occurence, McAfee picked up an occurence of the User Protection malware.

I understand there are numerous things which could cause some of these symptoms, so would like some guidance in getting to a good diagnosis.

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
You are correct in assuming that there are many possible causes. My gut feeling is that the source is hardware related and, to be more specific, to the hard disk and the hardware that control it'd operation. Please do the following:

Download Everest using the link in my signature. Run the program and click Computer and then Sensor. Minimize the program, run the computer for about an hour and then write down the temperatures and voltages that show up.

Download and create a bootable CD of your HD manufacturer's diagnostic program. Use this link to download the appropriate tool. Run a complete test and report the results.

Go to Event Viewer in Control Panel > Administrative Tools. Click System and report if there are any recurring errors marked by a red circle (please report only those). We look for some consistency so please ignore casual errors.

WhiteJay17

WhiteJay17

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
OK ---

Downloaded Everest. Left the laptop sitting for more than hour with it running. There doesn't appear to be a voltage reading; temperature is 33 C.

Unfortunately, it's a Toshiba HD so no manufacturer's diagnostics available.

In the System log, there are a number of errors from Service Control Manager (7000, 7035, 7031 and 7011 are common). Since I first ran up against this particular BSOD, there have been a few recurrences of error DCOM 10010. Also, I did note that before the one time it successfully rebooted and ran autochk, there was a cluster of atapi 9 errors.

Thanks for working on this with me.

Edited by WhiteJay17, 18 April 2010 - 03:22 PM.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
I agree with The Skeptic

Please download ARCDC from Artellos.com.
  • Double click ARCDC.exe
  • Follow the dialog until you see 6 options. Please pick: Windows Professional SP2 & SP3
  • You will be prompted with a Terms of Use by Microsoft, please accept.
  • You will see a few dos screens flash by, this is normal.
  • Next you will be able to choose to add extra files. Select the Default Files.
  • The last window will allow you to burn the disk using BurnCDCC
Your ISO is located on your desktop.

make sure in the bios the cd drive is the first boot device....put the cd in the cd drive..boot your computer....when you get to the screen that gives you the option to install or repair ...select r

when you get to the command prompt
type in chkdsk /r press enter
note the single space before the /

Chkdsk will display the specific stage it is checking as well as the percentage of completion of the stage. You cannot do anything else on your computer while chkdsk is running. When chkdsk is finished, it will automatically reboot your computer.
NOTE this can take a long time to complete..it may even appear to hang or get stuck at a certain % for a couple of hours...then complete
it may even back up and go over the same area...this is normal...let it run...there are 5 stages
DO NOT TURN OFF YOUR COMPUTER WHILE RUNNING CHKDSK or you can have severe problems...

Edited by happyrock, 18 April 2010 - 04:53 PM.

WhiteJay17

WhiteJay17

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I got the recovery CD and ran chkdsk. It told me something along the lines of "CHKDSK has found and repaired one or more errors..."

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Most manufacturers do not allow their utility to run on other HDs. However, I found that Hitachi is more tolerant in this respect. Please try to create the bootable CD and run the test.

Please download SpeedFan, minimize, let the computer warm up and take a screen shot of SpeedFan. Please attach to your next post.

Is there any improvement since you ran chkdsk, as suggested by Happyrock?

WhiteJay17

WhiteJay17

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Last night I was going to post that I hadn't seen any more blue screens since running chkdsk, when ironically I got one pretty much right after I hit the browse button to attach my SpeedFan screenshot. (it did search for a minute or two, though the drive noises sounded wrong).

This time the stop code was different: 0X00000077 (0XC000000E, 0XC000000E, 0X00000000, 0X01019000). I tried to boot up this morning and shortly after the logon screen I got the old 7A stop code with win32k.sys replacing atapi.sys.

If I could get onto the hard drive to retrieve the SpeedFan screenshot I would. What I remember was that there were no fan speed readings, just the hard drive temp reading, which was at about 37 C the last time I saw before the computer crashed.

I ran out of CD-Rs, so I haven't done the Hitachi diagnostics. I'll run out and get some more later today.

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
Im going to agree with the general consensus here and go with hard drive failure. Drive Fitness Test will test any drive regardless of maker. If chkdsk doesnt fix your issue, your probably going to need a new drive.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
try chkdsk /r again...keep running it until it does not find or fix any errors...

WhiteJay17

WhiteJay17

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Hitachi Diagnostics:
-Quick test returned a disposition code of 0x00
-advanced test was taking too long for my patience - in the "analyzing media" stage, it had done about 5% of the blocks in 4 hours when I cancelled it. Disposition code: 0x10

I'm currently running another pass at chkdsk.

Advertisements

WhiteJay17

WhiteJay17

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Question:

happyrock said that it automatically reboot after each run of chkdsk. It actually returns to the command prompt and I have to type EXIT for it to reboot. So, do I have reboot between each run of chkdsk or can I just type the command in again at the command prompt?

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
after chkdsk /r completes and you have rebooted then Go to Start...Run and type: eventvwr.msc press enter
When Event Viewer opens, click on Applications... then scroll down to Winlogon and double-click on it. This is the log created after running Checkdisk...copy and paste the log back here...

if you crash again...download and install WhoCrashed from [url="http://<a%20href="http://www.resplendence.com/download/whocrashedSetup.exe"%20target="_blank">http://www.resplende...exe</a>"]here[/url]..
This program checks for any drivers which may have been causing your computer to crash....

click on it...then run...then next...put a tick in accept...then next..put a tick in the don't create a start menu folder..then next...put a tick in create a desktop icon..then install.. then make sure there is a tick in launch whocrashed...then finish...then click Analyze ...
WhoCrashed will create report...you have to scroll down to see it
Copy and paste it into your next reply...

Edited by happyrock, 20 April 2010 - 04:38 PM.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
I would also suggest that you re-run the DFT test on the hard drive.
Usually the quick test wont find anything.
The disposition code of 0x10 on the advanced is that you cancelled it.

Re-run the advanced test and report the findings.

123runner

WhiteJay17

WhiteJay17

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
"This volume appears to contain one or more unrecoverable problems."

chkdsk log:
Checking file system on \DosDevices\C:The type of the file system is NTFS.Cleaning up minor inconsistencies on the drive.Cleaning up 5 unused index entries from index $SII of file 0x9.Cleaning up 5 unused index entries from index $SDH of file 0x9.Cleaning up 5 unused security descriptors.CHKDSK is verifying file data (stage 4 of 5)...File data verification completed.CHKDSK is verifying free space (stage 5 of 5)...Free space verification is complete.  58605088 KB total disk space.  45256704 KB in 102884 files.     42296 KB in 13244 indexes.         0 KB in bad sectors.    222852 KB in use by the system.     65536 KB occupied by the log file.  13083236 KB available on disk.      4096 bytes in each allocation unit.  14651272 total allocation units on disk.   3270809 allocation units available on disk.Internal Info:30 55 02 00 a9 c5 01 00 4b 99 02 00 00 00 00 00  0U......K.......67 05 00 00 02 00 00 00 b2 06 00 00 00 00 00 00  g...............14 ad 05 07 00 00 00 00 56 d4 c2 71 00 00 00 00  ........V..q....6e a4 c2 11 00 00 00 00 e8 72 42 f0 08 00 00 00  n........rB.....46 24 dd cf 01 00 00 00 ea f5 2f 4e 0b 00 00 00  F$......../N....99 9e 36 00 00 00 00 00 e8 37 07 00 e4 91 01 00  ..6......7......00 00 00 00 00 00 40 ca 0a 00 00 00 bc 33 00 00  [email protected] more information, see Help and Support Center at[url="http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp"]http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp[/url].

I apparently also have 3 more chkdsk logs from the last 4 days. I assume only the most recent would be helpful.

I have gotten one blue screen since the most recent time I ran chkdsk. So I downloaded and ran WhoCrashed, only to find out that I don't have crash dumps enabled. I followed the directions to turn them on: I chose "small memory dump (64 kb)". There are two more options, would either of those be more appropriate?

How long is the DFT Advanced test supposed to take? I cancelled it before because the pace 5%/4 hours extrapolates to 100%/80 hours. Does it speed up later or do you really expect me to run it for 5 days?

Edited by WhiteJay17, 21 April 2010 - 09:32 AM.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Hitachi's test time depends on disk size and condition. As things look now you have to replace the hard disk.