Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Newly built PC keeps freezing

• Please log in to reply

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
That is a little longer then I would say is normal.
Just a ideal but if you go to add\remove programs and at the top of the window there should be a box that says show updates. Click that and look for those updates it is trying to install. If they are there then remove them and let the install try again. Let me know what happens.

Do this by going to
Start and then to Control Panel
Click Add/Remove Programs
Carefully choose the program(s) you don't need
Click on each Program then click Change/Remove and Follow the Uninstall Instructions

You may be prompted to Restart your computer.
Restart once you have all the programs you don't need uninstalled.
Be careful not to remove anything needed by your computer, some of which you may be unfamiliar with the name,

Advertisements

amsteRDamage-420

amsteRDamage-420

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
I've experienced a new error. While playing an online MMO game, it went to a blue screen

Hardware Malfunction
NMI channel check / IOCHK
**The system has halted**

My initial reaction is that this may be the same error as when it was freezing previously. Is this likely?

Edited by amsteRDamage-420, 26 April 2010 - 03:34 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK a little research and I found this article HERE from Microsoft on this error. since we have already checked the memory and found it to be free of any problems then the next step is to check the hardware and drivers itself.
First lets check the HD with diagnostics and make sure it is working properly.
Run hard drive diagnostics: http://www.tacktech....ay.cfm?ttid=287
Make sure, you select tool, which is appropriate for the brand of your hard drive.
Depending on the program, it'll create bootable floppy, or bootable CD.
If downloaded file is of .iso type, use ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/ to burn .iso file to a CD (select "Write image file to disc" option), and make the CD bootable.

NOTE. If your hard drive is made by Toshiba, unfortunately, you're out of luck, because Toshiba doesn't provide any diagnostic tool.

Thanks to Broni for the instructions

amsteRDamage-420

amsteRDamage-420

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
I successfully downloaded and burned the diagnostics, it showed no errors. After that reboot, my computer started beeping and flashing "No power cable connected to video card"

Another reboot and it posted, upon startup screen resolution is smaller than it should be and message pops up-

No ATI Graphics Drivers installed, or the ATI driver has stopped functioning. Please install the driver appropriate for your ATI hardware.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
According to the article a corrupt driver could be the cause of everything. Please do the following and let me know what it shows.

Please Go to
1: STARTand the click on RUN
2: Type in devmgmt.msc
3: Click Enter

To do a screenshot please have click on your Print Screen on your keyboard. It is normally the key above your number pad between the F12 key and the Scroll Lock key
Now go to Start and then to All Programs
Scroll to Accessories and then click on Paint
In the Empty White Area click and hold the CTRL key and then click the V
Go to the File option at the top and click on Save as
Save as file type JPEG and save it to your Desktop

Attach it to your next reply

amsteRDamage-420

amsteRDamage-420

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Attached

Attached Thumbnails

• devmgr.JPG

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
have you recently upgraded your video driver to version 10.3?
Have you rebooted and if so did error happen again?

amsteRDamage-420

amsteRDamage-420

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
I updated drivers to 10.3
The vid card/drivers errors have stopped.
But it has started freezing again.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I have seen in other topics where version 10.3 has caused problems. I would suggest uninstalling it and installing 10.2 and see if the freezing stops then.

amsteRDamage-420

amsteRDamage-420

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
10.2 drivers caused the '"No power cable connected to video card"' error.

I noticed several different versions of Catalyst drivers on my system so I ran WinASO Registry Optimizer. It found 59 high-risk errors. I deleted all ATI files, cleaned the registry and installed "Ati Catalyst 10.4 hotfix" - No problems so far.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
That is great to hear. Just as a point we make here at GTG...
A registry cleaner will not increase your system's speed or performance, and has the potential to break your registry to the point that your PC is no longer bootable.
We strongly advise that people stay away from any of the registry cleaners out there.
Go HERE to get more information about why registry cleaners aren't needed.

I'm glad to see everything worked after using it and that it didn't mess with anything else. Please let me know how it works for you as i will continue to monitor this topic for your results.

amsteRDamage-420

amsteRDamage-420

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
I've read some reports lately about problems with the Coolermaster Storm Scout Tower that ive been using relating to the graphics card coming loose due to the toolless design of the tower. The plastic brackets that hold the hardware in place are convenient, but not entirely functional; especially when the PC was built by someone with minimal experience. :)

In regard to WinASO, I've been using it for a couple years now. It's a solid application. Essential files will appear in a scan from time to time, but the program recognizes these files and prevents you from deleting them. It keeps a running list of files to "ignore forever" and is the only registry program I've come across that has this feature.

Thanks again for your help.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Thanks for the information and I'm happy everything is working properly now. :) :) :) :) :)