Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Booting up problem

• Please log in to reply

jyank

jyank

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hello,

I normally run a dual boot system with 2k and Debian 3.1 I hardly use Debian on this PC anymore so I decided to get rid of it. I've delt with partitions many times before and done them with ease with Partition Magic ( - So I got rid of my linux partition and moved all the space back to my C drive and everything seemed to be going well and as normal. After Partition Magic finished everything it normally does, it rebooted (as expected) but when I get to boot up, it passes the memory check and hops right to a screen with a bunch of numbers, mostly about my PC, then at the bottom states "Verifying DMI Pool Data..........Update Success"

So, I've heard of people with this problem before - my first idea was to fix the MBR. Loaded up, fixed the MBR but it still had the same problem, except it hung at just "Verifying DMI Pool Data....." no update success anymore. My next idea was to clear the CMOS, so I popped open the PC and took the battery out, left it out for a good 20 minutes. Rebooted, but again still had the error (but once again with the update success)

I really don't know what else to try and It's getting very annoying! :tazz: Any suggestions?

Thanks

Advertisements

mooncrawler

mooncrawler

• Pip
  • 7 posts
If you check the file C:\boot.ini, is the Debian partition also removed from there?

jyank

jyank

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Not sure. I am not at that point where I can check that because it wont even get to loading up windows.

mooncrawler

mooncrawler

• Pip
  • 7 posts
How about an MS-Dos boot diskette?

jyank

jyank

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I am able to get to a DOS prompt using my 2k disc (this is how I did fixmbr) would that work ?

Edit: I got to the dos screen but i'm not really too familiar with it, not quite such just how to check boot.ini :tazz:

Edited by jyank, 21 May 2005 - 10:59 AM.

mooncrawler

mooncrawler

• Pip
  • 7 posts
If you have a command prompt, first remove the boot.ini's read-only flag: attrib -r C:\boot.ini
Then open it: edit C:\boot.ini
Remove the 2nd boot line (if it's there), save & close the file.
attrib +r C:\boot.ini

Reboot.

jyank

jyank

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Everything works until edit C:\boot.ini

it says

"The command is not recognized. Type HELP for a list of supported commands"

edit: I got it open by typing

more boot.ini

I can't edit it, but it says

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default = C:\
[operating systems]

Edited by jyank, 21 May 2005 - 11:08 AM.