Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HP Deskjet 712c Win 7 Home problem connecting to shared printer on Win

• Please log in to reply

cueshot

cueshot

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Hi,

I posted this on HP's support forum a week ago, and nobody is replying, so I thought I'd try here.

I am having a problem connecting to a shared printer on my home wireless network. The printer is HP Deskjet 712C. When I had Win XP on all my PCs, I could successfully share the printer from one PC and print to it from any PC. Worked just fine.

However, now I have 2 PCs with Win 7 Home and 1 PC with Win XP Pro. The printer is physically connected to the Win XP box. I have confirmed, on that box, it is being shared. When I try to add the printer on a Win 7 box, I select network printer and get to the point where it needs the driver. It prompts for an INF file. I have no clue where to go from there. I have done the Windows Update thing for Win 7 to update the driver list in the OS. I did see on the Win XP box that there's a place where I can load various drivers to the network for different OSs. I'm guessing that's so the appropriate drivers for those OSs will be available when adding the shared printer in those OSs. Of course, Win Vista and Win 7 are not available there. Is there any way I can share the printer from my Win XP box to my Win 7 boxes?

Also, I've tried physically connecting the printer to one of my Win 7 boxes to share it from there, but I have probems there just getting Win 7 to see the printer correctly. I'm using a Parallel - USB converter cable. When I plug it in, Win 7 sees the printer as a IEEE-1394 device instead of a printer. Even when I install the HP Deskjet 712C drivers in the OS driver list, and select the USB001 port, it tells me the printer is not plugged in, but I know it is.

I would love to hear some ideas! Please help!

Thanks

Advertisements