Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

SCSI/Raid Host Controller device error

• Please log in to reply

shadowz187

shadowz187

• PipPip
  • 42 posts
This is an odd one in my opinion. I have 2 IDE harddrives and no externals connected up to my PC, but I have a device error today and it keeps asking me to install this device:

Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)

Device:
ACPI\PNPA000\4&5D18F2DF&1

Ran Everest HE and got no info on the device.

This is an older system. A Dell GX260/Dell mobo/with IDE Controllers, running XP Pro.

Any ideas on where to find this driver. Its annoying the heck out of me.

Edited by shadowz187, 17 April 2010 - 11:40 PM.

Advertisements

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
After looking at the specs of a Dell GX260, you should not have SCSI\RAID host controller on it.

A ACPI\PNPA000\4&5D18F2DF&1 can be a wrong info alert from a malicious file, I read others who had the same problem and it was resolve by applying certain removal actions (I am no expert on that)

If I was you i would seek help more on virus/malware section then the hardware one.

shadowz187

shadowz187

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
I have read that as well, but this is sitting in the device manager. I think it is a remnant of Daemon Tools Lite, as I have read that this can be a virtual device mount.

I removed DT last night and I still have this device listed. When removing the device, I scan for new devices and it pops back in again. Still stumped.

I have recently ran MalwareBytes and no issues.

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
You removed the program but it probably left entries in the registry and maybe some drivers for the virtual device so windows still thinks its there but it is missing some drivers to work.

shadowz187

shadowz187

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
Someone want to help me to diagnose my registry? What tool should I use to post it with? HiJackThis?

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
Did you try to remove the SCSI\Raid controller in device manager, just right click on it and choose uninstall then reboot to see if it comes back.

shadowz187

shadowz187

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
Several times. It comes back on every boot.

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
Was worth the try,

I have read that by removing the driver in WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS of the SCSI/raid driver might help but I am not an expert about how to recognise the proper driver so will not suggest you what to do, maybe somebody else with more experience can guide you.

Sorry could not help more.

deggitt

deggitt

• PipPipPip
  • 272 posts
hi, just found this....

Remove (or rename) C:\windows\system32\drivers\st3shark.sys and pnpshark.sys. In old version it might be called differently, but should start with st3.

shadowz187

shadowz187

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
Thanks for the input everyone!

I do not have those drivers in C:\windows\system32\drivers\ and nothing starts with st3.

shadowz187

shadowz187

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
Figured it out. It was a remnant of Virtual CloneDrive, which was replaced by Daemon Tools. I removed the 1st one, but didn't unmount the virtual drive. I had then removed Daemon because the newer versions install spyware.

Solution: I installed virtual clonedrive again, unmounted the drives, then uninstalled it again and all refs to scsi in my device manager are gone.