Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need help replacing motherboard

• Please log in to reply

happy raver

happy raver

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
Well, my problem is my mobo, it is causing my screen to appear as if it looks like its vibrating. I posted here to diagnose this problem, as well as an IT manager and they both said mobo. So what are my options? Here's what I've been thinking about.

My pc is almost impossible to find cheap replacement parts because they are so outdated. Heres the thing, I found me exact motherboard MSI MS-7184 for 59 dollars from a place called OEMzone.() or something but it was taken from an HP machine and the only difference I saw after days of looking was that it has one more port on the i/o panel, its right between the USB/LAN jack and the speaker/mic ports. Its called SPDIF-Out heres the specs for the one thats 59 dollars. http://h10025.www1.h...n...lc=en&cc=us

I contacted the oemzone sales email and told them my model of pc and asked questions. Anyways, they replied with the only mobo thats compatible with my model emachine T6524 is THIS

And they did say it was part number 104571. I did research and the mobo in my pc is MS-7184 part #104571 MBEM104571MS. It seems pretty specific.. They were selling it for $149 (even though it wasn't listed on their site) but the link above for compusa parts was $95 and another place for $99. Seems very expensive for a motherboard bought in 2005/2006... I know its possible to replace a motherboard on my machine, even with an entirely different mobo.. What's everyone's take on this? I would like to replace with same mobo so I don't have to deal with reinstalling windows. My computer didnt come with a win cd. What other mobo's could I use? But it has to be 24.4cm x 24.4cm so It would fit with no hassel :/ Thank you !!

Justin

Advertisements

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,525 posts
If it the exact same board that uses the exact same drivers then you might get lucky.

If it boots up and you get in to windows then you might be ok.
If you have any issues you might have to do a repair install that would require a CD of the same type as what you have. You can borrow one.

123runner

DaffyKantReed

DaffyKantReed

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts
@happy raver:

For $150 or so you can have a new motherboard, CPU, and 2GB of DDR2 RAM. This is the way I'd go.

happy raver

happy raver

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Right 123Runner, that is why I kinda want to buy this exact board from my model T6524.

My pc came with a restore cd, It restores my pc to the exact same when you bought it. Although I lost the restore CD, I can use the program under start>all programs > system recovery, or I can press f11 on boot. I will do this right before I plan on replacing my mobo , correct? Also, there is 2 options for system recov. "destructive" and backup. With back up it puts all my files from HD into C:/Backup folder... But doesnt keep apps or programs. I am sorry I am a newbie but I dont know what things it would keep??? Should I even bother with this?? The ONLY worry I have after restoring it is how im going to install my linksys wireless adapter card.. It should find new found hardware " linksys wireless g- adapter" and tell me to put the CD in and isntall it... But even if i did do the back up method it will still delete my linksys software so either way im screwed.. I have the linksys folder (with setup in it) and driver files on a usb storage thing( will the setup run if i put the folder on pc and run setup after the restore? What can I do since i lost my install cd for this :) how will my pc install software to communicate with the hardware? Thanks.

DaffyKantReed, I am unsure of a good mobo+cpu to buy. Its mainly my mobo I dont want to risk it not fitting or working. I have this processor and it works fine... and I already bought 2 GB of RAM so I can just buy smore'. What combo do you recommend? Paste a link. Thanks guys :) ,

Happy Raver.

Edited by happy raver, 18 April 2010 - 05:58 PM.

DaffyKantReed

DaffyKantReed

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16813128408

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16819103688

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16820148163

Any new motherboard will require DDR2 or DDR3. Your current motherboard uses plain old 184-pin DDR, which is not compatible.

The thing that bothers me is the power supply. I don't know how comfortable I'd be putting new hardware in that case with the existing PSU.

happy raver

happy raver

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Well I just put in a 350 watt Antec PSU for now... Though wanting to get a 500 or 550. This mobo you sent looks awesome! The reviews are great and its exactly what I need. I am not a big gamer but this looks fine for me. U sure this is going to work with my pc?? I probably wont run it on the 350 antec for long maybe a few weeks till i can buy a 500+ watt psu, Would that be ok? I looked online and it said its about 24cm x 22 cm.... Which is smaller than my current mobo. Mine is 24.4cm x 24.4cm. How will it line up? What about screws?

The only thing I noticed right away was that any video card with some length isnt going to fit because there's a heat sink right across from pci-e x16 slot. But I know they make short video cards. (dunno what kind)

Is this an older mobo? I just dont want it to be incompatible.

I have never even heard of this mobo or the AMD Athlon II X2 240 Regor 2.8GHz... I am liking the price on the cpu, and it seems perfect for the games I will be playing, is it enough for like battle field 2? I would like to play bf bad company 2 also, Would it run OK (not asking for perfection). But both of these are better than what I have now so, and its a great price!

What would be a good video card ( the best one) I could use with this cpu and mobo?

Also, I have 2G RAM added I think its just regular ddr2 ram, I can swap it into this gigabyte mobo right? Oh and btw there are 1.0 1.1 1.3 of this board.. Should I get v.1 ???Does it matter? Cuz It doesnt say on newegg which one it is. THANKS FOR UR HELP !!:)

Edited by happy raver, 19 April 2010 - 04:32 PM.

DaffyKantReed

DaffyKantReed

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts
The 350W Antec should be fine, at least for a while. The motherboard will work fine with your PC, but it may well mean a fresh install of Windows, which I would do on general principles.

The Athlon II X2 240 Regor is an entry level dual core CPU. The board I suggested, Rev 1.3, has specs in the link below. You may want to ask your vendor if they are currently shipping Rev 1.3 It uses DDR2-800, or faster. If the RAM you currently have fits your old motherboard, it will not work in this one. Since you'd like a discrete video card, you may want to look at another Gigabyte board without onboard video. In either case, I don't believe the NB heatsink will be in the way. Many new motherboards use DDR3, which is not compatible with DDR2 or DDR.

Your case /should/ have enough holes in it to support a new motherboard. In some cases you may have to find new standoffs. IOW, if the board has nine holes, use nine standoffs and nine screws, whenever possible. They must align with the tinned holes on the PCB, or something will get shorted and that's not a good thing.

http://www.gigabyte-...?ProductID=3384

For video cards, you can use just about anything you'd like, after the PSU upgrade. Perhaps another reader can suggest a video card suitable for your gaming needs, as IANOG (I Am Not A Gamer). In some cases, a <$60 video card may be perfect for your needs.

happy raver

happy raver

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Yes I agree what ya say. So you are saying I cant use my RAM in that mobo no matter what ?? :) Well figures since its a big update. For the money this is definitely the way to go. But now I have to buy RAM :) Does this mobo only have 2 slots for ram!!?? only 2gb max? That kinda stinks. I have 4 slots on this mobo. I have to buy the ram for it to work right?

Ya I totaly agree with you, I just need something decent as far as video card go..Do you know any that are good cards, but not too expensive? I haave no idea if like a 8800 gt nvidia is bad or good or whats that equalivlant for ATI, I just dont know whats hot and whats not if you will. What about the 8800 GT ??? Or the HD 4670 isnt too pricey it is alot less than the 8800 GT It looks like. AM i aiming to high, are these too good for my setup? Also , the ATI HD 4670 says " Aimed at people on a budget, the Radeon HD 4670 is small enough to fit into even the tightest cases, but it still packs enough power to give Nvidia's 9600 GT some competition." So its small which is good. I just want a card that has a SMALLER price tag but delivers decent gfx and performance. Whats the cheapest card to buy , with the most performance(umffhh). ones that would fit in that mobo you showed me obviously. Thanks

DaffyKantReed

DaffyKantReed

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts
The motherboard I posted has only two RAM slots, 8GB max. It was just one example.

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16813128376

This one has four DIMM slots. Neither will support the older DDR.

These folks think the Radeon HD 4670 is a good choice for the budget minded gamer.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/2616/11
http://www.guru3d.co...-4670-review/14

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814121328

$80, before rebate

happy raver

happy raver

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
So the first mobo you listed can hold 8 GB of ram?? That is plenty for me. So do I buy two, 4gb RAM cards and put them in?? And this would cost about $150 LOL!! I dont think I want 8gb of ram that bad, which would cost 3x more than my mobo ...

Also, Why is that first mobo SO cheap?? I believe firmly in : "you get what you pay for." Do you know of any issues or any 'dirt' about this mobo? And yes, I managed to read the label on one of the 1gb cards and it says ddr pcblahblahblah. Dam, I am not going to like buying RAM that's going to cost more than my motherboard itself!! how much would two cheapest 2GB RAM sticks cost ? What are the specifications of the RAM that I need for the mobo I like? what pin.

Thank you so very much !

Edited by happy raver, 19 April 2010 - 11:09 PM.

Advertisements

DaffyKantReed

DaffyKantReed

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts
Yes, 8GB, but that means 4x2GB DIMMS, which are expensive.

The only reason I suggested an inexpensive motherboard in the first place was to make your upgrade easier on the wallet, without sacrificing too much in the way of features or quality. I've has no issues with dozens of <$100 Gigabyte boards, but that's a pretty small sample size.

http://en.wikipedia....wiki/DDR2_SDRAM
http://en.wikipedia....wiki/DDR3_SDRAM

happy raver

happy raver

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Oh, cool! Hey, Im not complaining about the price :)

So I am confused how do u fit 4x2gb DIMMS, there is only 2 DIMM slots on the mobo ? either way its to expensive, 4gb is the max I would go. It's all I would ever need.

I have a question, Well after i install mobo (and that cpu) I will be able to install windows xp media center right?

And I did a lot of research on this mobo I'd figure I'D post so others' will know too. This http://www.newegg.co...N82E16813128408 Mobo has only one ps/2 port so you need to have a mouse that plugs into a usb, as you will most likely need to plug the keyboard into the only ps/2 port. But from what I read its an excellant mobo for the cost and its going to be great for me.

Figure I'd share. Besides that I cannot wait to have it! I hope it fixes my original problem :) and i hope my 350 antec will keep it going for a month or two, because I will be broke :) It's an Antec so I know its good quality, but the only thing is, I dont feel as though its cooling and its very quiet. There is very little air flow out the back of the fan (case) and its warm air. Because the stock one that came blew out like a boeing 747 compared to this Antec. So I figured my antec one is blowing the air at the important components insetad of blowing out the back of my computer. Anyways maybe Im just crazy xD But I heard with this mobo has a very very nice BIOS with lots of options and it's very easy to over clock. Thanks,

Happy Raver

Edited by happy raver, 20 April 2010 - 06:54 PM.

DaffyKantReed

DaffyKantReed

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts

Oh, cool! Hey, Im not complaining about the price :)

So I am confused how do u fit 4x2gb DIMMS, there is only 2 DIMM slots on the mobo ? either way its to expensive, 4gb is the max I would go. It's all I would ever need.

I have a question, Well after i install mobo (and that cpu) I will be able to install windows xp media center right?

I made a mistake. I should have said, "two 4GB DIMMS", which could easily cost $260USD.

I don't see why you couldn't install Windows XP Media. All versions of XP will be supported by MS until April 8th, 2014.

If you use an SSD for your OS, I'd consider Windows 7, which is optimized for the task, where XP really is not.

happy raver

happy raver

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
I guess I dont use SSD, since I am not familiar with it and havent mentioned it. :) I typed it in google, Solid state drive? Well either way I am afraid of change, and am unsure of using windows 7 after hearing nightmare stories of vista. Are their any problems on 7 regarding gaming and such? I heard good things about 7 though, and I am considering getting it. I just feel they tried to make (vista) too easy for people , and in turn made it worse. I hated navigating in vista it didn't make much sense. But anyways, tell me your thoughts maybe do PROS: and CONS: lol :) TY.

DaffyKantReed

DaffyKantReed

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts
I like Windows 7 and I like XP Pro as well. Windows 7, properly tuned, runs very well on 2006 hardware and better still on newer hardware.

SSD Reads:
Using HD Tune and the original 2.5" hard drive, I found my laptop benchmarked at ~45MB/sec seq. reads. An SSD will read at 4x that or more. In a desktop, an SSD may read two or three times faster than most 7200RPM hard drives. Sequential writes depend on the internal hardware and can be as low as 35MB/sec, in the case of the least expensive Intel unit.

On a budget I'd look at this model:
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16820139149