Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need help replacing motherboard

• Please log in to reply

happy raver

happy raver

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Oh I watched a video on youtube Of some guy who put 24 256gb samsung SSD's, quite an amazing video, it got over 2GBs per second! And he opened every program in the menu and it was amazingly fast. So ... an ssd gives speed to processing and windows and the start up? After some wiki action, so it's like a emulated hard drive that works with your PC as if it was another hard drive? Except without spinning disks. :)

Where does it plug into, because the gigabyte mobo doesn't have a wide selection of ports ( except usb, it has like 7 of them lol ).

WIll it like make my 240 regor like super powered :) ??? I am just curious because it better do a lot for $100! I imagine this is the lowest or lower end of ssds. I don't even wanna know how expensive a 256 GB is. And I saw on google someone has a 500GB out. Yikes! Its probably $1000!

Well I dont know if I can affoard this anytime soon, will this 30GB increase my game play?? It sounds interesting and I would like to have one in the future.

Edited by happy raver, 22 April 2010 - 04:58 PM.

Advertisements

DaffyKantReed

DaffyKantReed

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts
I saw the same video a while back. It was very impressive.

It is the low end of SSDs, but I imagine a buyer might find a good deal on a 30GB OCZ Vertex on Ebay. The Kingston unit is $75USD after rebate. It connects to a SATA data port and a SATA power connector.

It'll increase the speed of every single read, including games. In should come as no surprise that Samsung, Seagate and Western Digital now produce SSD products. Prices will fall as demand rises and supply increases, as is always the case.

happy raver

happy raver

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Thank you! Awesome, every read....Wow. I looked but they all were over $105 and some were $140. So it looks like new egg wins again with $75 :) Well here's what that mobo specs say.

* 4 x SATA 3Gb/s connectors supporting up to 4 SATA 3Gb/s devices
* Support for SATA RAID 0, RAID 1, RAID 10 and JBOD

So I am assuming the 3Bb/s is the type of ssd because the kingston says 3 gb/s. So it looks like the mobo has everything for it, unless it doesn't have a power connector xD. And I read it supports SATA II , is it only SATA 2 or what?

WEll I hope all that happens and supply increases a lot so I can get a better deal in the future :) I really am looking forward to buying one though... It would be cool to have a 256GB one :) Anyways, I woulda never even knew about them if you didn't mention them :) !! Thanks

Edited by happy raver, 22 April 2010 - 11:29 PM.

DaffyKantReed

DaffyKantReed

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts
SATA now is three generations old.

http://en.wikipedia....ATA_6_Gb.2Fs.29

For a single SSD, a port on the SATA 3 Gbit/s will suffice. SATA 6 Gbit/s motherboards have started shipping quite recently.

happy raver

happy raver

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Lol ahh! All these terms I have no idea. And so you mean for a single ssd, my 3 Gb/s mobo will be sufficient?? lol. I know what suffice means but I just don't understand what you are trying to say. I just hope the kingston ssd works with that mobo I want.

DaffyKantReed

DaffyKantReed

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts

And so you mean for a single ssd, my 3 Gb/s mobo will be sufficient?? lol. I know what suffice means but I just don't understand what you are trying to say. I just hope the kingston ssd works with that mobo I want.

Correct. The Kingston or any other SATA SSD will work.

happy raver

happy raver

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Cool! Thanks.

My PC still fails to boot first try. Even after replacing psu. Well I just hope a mobo +cpu change fixes it :) ... :)