Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CPU fan is LOUD

• Please log in to reply

GSXR2010

GSXR2010

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I have a DELL Optiplex GX280 and my fan that sits on my processor is running too fast. I called DELL and they said to go to there support site and update my BIOS. So I did and it is still loud. Its not running constantly, but when I do something like install a game or download thats when it gets loud. I dont know if this is normal or what. But does anyone know how to fix it or have any suggestions?
Thanks, Ryan

Advertisements

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
Did you check if your fan is dirty, if it is try to clean it by using one of those air compress bottle they sell, or even better if you know how to do it (only if you know how) remove it completely and clean it entirely just make sure you have clean the old paste and put new thermal paste on the cpu before putting it back.

A dirty fan and dissipator will not cool your cpu enough and on heavy usage might work harder then it should when trying to cool down your cpu and causing the noise level to go up.

Also clean the inside of your case motherbord and all making sure all your connections (wires) are not loose before restarting your pc, dust is a big ennemy of computers.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
Alzeimer gave you good advice...just start with the cleaning though...unplug from the wall...open case...buy a can of compressed air (you can get at any place that sells computers )...use your finger or a pencil to keep the cpu fan from spinning and using short bursts of air clean out the heatsink real good ..also the fan blades...