Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer Won't Start Up!

• Please log in to reply

Dylan0001

Dylan0001

• PipPip
  • 74 posts
Hi,

Last night i was using my computer and it was working completely fine and once i had finished i switched it off.... now when i came back this morning first it ran the CheckDisk utility and then it rebooted. Now when it boots it has these error messages: Title: 'winlogon.exe - unable to locate component' and the error message 'this application has failed to start because SHELL32.dll was not found. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem.' which repeats another two times but the title changes from 'winlogon.exe' to 'services.exe' and 'lsass.exe'. Then after i close or click ok on those three boxes another one pops up with the title: 'user interface failure' and the message: 'the logon user interface dll msgina.dll failed to load. Contact your system administrator to replace the dll, or restore the original dll.' Below the messages is a restart button and that is all i am capable of doing. I do however still have the option of running the windows recovery console at startup.

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Will it boot to Safe Mode on F8
Did you install any download programme last night, when it was OK until you switched on today.

Dylan0001

Dylan0001

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
No it will not start in safe mode, it fails with identical error messages.... I was trying to install a file recovery software but it needed a licence key that required payment so i uninstalled it.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
What was the file recovery software please. Did you already have problems?
The answer may well alter what we should do now

Dylan0001

Dylan0001

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
The software was 'recover my files'. and another one which came with a .zip file with the setup application and a licence key which were locked and another txt document that was unlocked with links to the password. The sites listed all wanted me to fill a 'survey' which i did not complete but when i left the room my sister started so that may be the problem. I can not remember the name of the second software.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
SO DID YOU ALREADY HAVE PROBLEMS - please?

Dylan0001

Dylan0001

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
Sorry, I did not already have these specific problems nor have i ever had them on any of my pcs. The particular computer has had different problems in the past but not similar in nature to the problem i am describing now and the other problems occured over 3 months ago.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
I have signed off for tonight.
Run "chkdsk /r" on Recovery Console.
Please see this guide.
NOTE If some undesirable software was installed with this "File Recovery Program - or whatever it was"
it may well be that after chkdsk has finished repairing the system files etc. to re-enable "winlogon", this software may immediately corrupt them again, so after chkdsk has finished in Recovery Console, exit and boot to Safe Mode. Go to Control Panel, Add/Remove Programs and see if there is any mention of this File Recovery Program. If so uninstall it.
If it is NOT there, go to C drive on My Computer and in Programs, see if it is there and if by chance it has its own uninstaller.
http://pcsupport.abo...ss/rconsole.htm

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
I did PM you, with additional question, but am signing off.
If you did already have a reason to download the File Recovery Program, on this computer, you will need to address that issue if the chkdsk on Recovery Console gets you back into Windows.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 18 April 2010 - 06:25 PM.

Dylan0001

Dylan0001

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
I ended up using the windows installation repair on the xp disc and this allowed me to boot up, however some required .dll files were still missing for a number of programs and windows tasks so I reformatted the hard drive and started from scratch after backing everything up... Thanks for the help anyway