Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Spyware from mobile device

• Please log in to reply

Jun6285

Jun6285

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi there!

I bought a cell phone (Nokia 5130) on Friday with an unlimited browsing capability plan. I downloaded and installed apps such as gmail, twitter, snaptu, and opera mini.
On the same day, I found out that everyone on my gmail contact list were spammed with a link. No text in the body, but just a link.

I wasnt doing much personal web browsing (meaning outside of work)on the computer. Just searching for the apps. My computer is protected with antivirus/ antispam software.

Is it just a coincidence that the day i got my cell phone is when everyone on my gmail contact list was spammed or was it the cause?

Secondly, could you suggest anything to better protect my gmail so that these things dont happen in the future?

Thank you!

Advertisements

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,624 posts
  • MVP
Most likely one of the sites you visited was infected and passed it on to you. Follow the procedure here:
http://www.geekstogo...uide-t2852.html
then post your logs (copy and paste - no attachments) and we can tell you more about what happened and how to prevent it.

Ron