Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Blank Blue Screen on Startup

• Please log in to reply

skyhawk99

skyhawk99

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Hello Geeks to Go, this is my firt post so I hope I have explained my problem clear enough.
My girlfriends computer had Security Tools virus in it and I was able to remove the virus successfully by using Spybot, Adware, Malware Bytes and Registry Mechanic, now the start up is very slow and a blank blue screen comes up shortly after the "Windows" screen loads, it stays blue for about 4 minutes, then the desktop slowly comes up. I have disabled mostly everything at startup, so only AVG and audio programs load, even the internet explorer is slow to load. I did run a hijack log as well, let me know what other information you need. Thanks in adavance..

Acer Desktop
AMD Sempron 3000
2 GHZ, 480 MB Ram

Advertisements

Sneakyone

Sneakyone

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
Hi, Welcome to Geeks To Go! :)

First off, I recommend going here and following the instructions for malware removal:

http://www.geekstogo...uide-t2852.html

Next,

If you can't boot go into Safemode, last known good config, whichever one that works by pressing "F8" until it prompts you with those listed.

If you can boot but, you can't see your desktop go into task manager and hit the "New Task" button and type in the box Explorer.exe and your desktop should appear.

Then follow the link above.

Regards,
Sneakyone :)

FNP

FNP

• PipPipPip
  • 606 posts
skyhawk99-

Hi and welcome to Geeks to Go! :)

For future reference, using any type of registry cleaning program is generally not advised. Using these programs often does more harm than good and generally causes problems within the registry cleaner.

Check out this link for a more detailed look at why we recommend inexperienced users don't alter their registry.

Having said that, please follow the advice Sneakyone gave and take a look at the Malware and Spyware Cleaning Guide. This will help you disinfect the majority of malicious software from your system. If that doesn't solve your problem, post a new thread in the Virus, Spyware and Trojan Removal Forum.