Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

how to reformat my hard drive

• Please log in to reply

rhy

rhy

• PipPip
  • 30 posts
good day guys... i dont know if im in the right topic category but.. can someone teach me how to reformat my hard drive... my friends told me to make that drive my slave drive and then have my file backed up on its master... is this correct...

ill appreciate anything you suggest...

thanks!

(note: i need an asap reply... im doing the reformatting a little later..)

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,839 posts
Your friends are right if you have two hard drives, the terminology "master" and "slave" refer specifically to IDE (PATA) hard drives as SATA does not use these anymore. All SATA drives are masters on their own channel.

Always have backups of your important files regardless... :)

If you only have one hard drive then you will need a specific tool to do it... The Windows XP disc has the format option as part of setup (as does Vista/7 discs). If you aren't reinstalling though, you can use Gparted, a simple tool that runs from the CD. You can use this for formatting and adjusting partitions.

Another method is to use the manufacturer's diagnostic disc for the hard drive. For example if you have a Seagate hard drive you want to format, download and burn a Seatools diagnostic disc which will let you run full diagnostics on the drive as well as wipe it etc...

If you really just want to make sure the data is gone gone gone, try looking up DBAN - Darik's Boot and Nuke.

Cheers

Edited by Troy, 19 April 2010 - 12:59 AM.

rhy

rhy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
thanks troy..

heres the thing.. my master drive is a seagate.. and the one i am formatting is in the slave drive.. and i can now see its icon on the My Computer. Then, i had right click on to it and chose format, and then clicked start.
When i clicked start, i cant see any hint that the formatting is progressing.

how long will it take to format the drive?

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Go to control panel >performance and maintenance >administrative tools >computer management >disk management > and see what it says for your reformatted drive. It should show as a healthy primary drive. If it does not then it did not reformat. Also, if not you can now right click on the drive and format it. Formatting should only take 30 minutes at the most(on the very large terrabyte drives).

If you are using IDE drives you cannot just switch the drive placement on the IDE cable to make the drives switch from master to slave and vice versa. The computer will not be able to find the operating system then and will not boot. If you only want to format the slave drive and am not worried about saving any data, just do the same as above. If you want to save data then just go thru windows explorer( right click my computer, then click explore) and cut and paste any files to a backup folder(you make) on the primary "C" drive. Then you can reformat the drive. If there is not enough room to save all the data, i would think about buying a external HD enclosure and stick the slave drive in it. Then just buy a new HD to be the new slave drive.

SRX660

rhy

rhy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
you see i have been formatting the drive for the last 3 hours.. and its files is no more than half a Gb, i have been trying to format it since then, to my impatience ( because there are no signs of progress) im using Unlocker Assistant and found the explorer.exe is on process, when i unlock it then format the drive again, progress bar will appear and a report that formatting is not successfu. Now that i checked the drives properties, i got nothing.. NOTHING, 0 bytes capacity.

what should i do then?

rhy

rhy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
does this mean the drive is formatted?

thanks again.. i really dont know what is what.. its my first time to try formatting a disk. hehe. :)

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,839 posts
Can you upload a screenshot? When you say you got nothing, does that mean "unallocated"? If it's unallocated then it's formatted and ready for you to create a new partition.

rhy

rhy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
oh is that it.. thank goodness.. can you teach me how to install a new system in my recently formatted hard drive?
thank you very much!

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,839 posts
Basically the easiest method is to make this drive the master, so remove the current master completely from the system, then change the jumper and install like a fresh machine.

Or are you wanting dual boot? Or what?

rhy

rhy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
sorry guys.. my internet has been cut and i was unable to try fixing my disk again.

i think i ill just have this checked on a technician. you can mark this page as done already.. thanks.. :)

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,839 posts
No worries, if you change your mind we are here to keep going. :)