Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Local area connection saids it is unplugged (100% sure it is not a har

• Please log in to reply

PCTechGuy

PCTechGuy

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi I am working on a friends computer his "Local area connection" keeps saying it is unplugged. This is a Windows XP system with SP3 installed.

1. He called his ISP and they determined it was nothing on there end leading to his modem.
2. So he asked me to try it at my house and it still didn't work.
3. I removed the HDD and scanned it with Symantec & Malwarebytes(no major viruses or malware).
4. I put in a new NIC card to see if that solved and problem and still nothing.
5. Also updated both the NIC card drivers and still nothing.

I got stumped and called a friend and then he said to use a boot CD to see if I could connect to the internet to internet to determine if it was hardware or software problem. I upgraded his HDD about 6 months ago and kept his old one since he didn't need it and I just never found time to format it.

6. I put in his original HDD and both of the NIC cards worked perfectly fine and connected to the internet no problem.

So I am 100% sure it is a software problem but what can I do to solve it besides reformatting it to resolve it? I have tried everything thinking and can not find anything else to try online.

Edited by PCTechGuy, 19 April 2010 - 02:57 AM.

Advertisements

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
If you have more then 1 NIC, even if one is plugged in the other will still stay disconnected.

Please run an ipconfig /all from the command line and paste the results.

PCTechGuy

PCTechGuy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
"Windows IP Configuration

An internal error occurred: The request is not supported.
Please contact Microsoft Product Support Services for further help.
Additional information: Unable to query host name."