Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP Home install loop

• Please log in to reply

disclosureinc

disclosureinc

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi there.
I'm kinda new here so forgive me if I'm at all naive :)
I've searched for hours over the past few days on google and although I've found HEAPS of good info and similar problems I can't find one exactly the same as the problem I'm having, hence why I still cannot get my OS installed.

OK. I have a formatted 80GB Maxtor HDD running as my Primary IDE Master. I have a normal CD-ROM running as my Secondary IDE Master. The floppy drive is plugged into the IDE floppy slot on the MOBO.
I have the BIOS boot sequence set to 1. CD-ROM 2. HDD 3. Floppy Drive...

So I boot up the computer with my Windows OS disk in the drive.
It says: Boot from ATAPI CD-ROM, No Emulation...
Then: Setup is inspecting your computers hardware configuration
Then: It goes to the blue screen - Windows Setup
(setup is loading files...)
Then: Setup is starting Windows
Then: Welcome to Setup
(options to "set up Windows XP now, press ENTER") (Repair) etc...))
SO I PRESS ENTER and agree to terms/conditions etc...
Then: I have the option to to select unpartitioned/partitioned etc.
SO I PRESS ENTER (INSTALL) on C:
Then: Setup is copying files...
Then: Please wait while setup initializes your..
Then: this portion of setup is complete, please wait while windows reboots,
Then: It goes back to "Boot from ATAPI CD_ROM, No Emulation"
AND THE WHOLE PROCESS REPEATS AGAIN!!!!

I've tried taking out the cd before it reboots but it simply asks for boot disk.
I've tried reconfiguring the boot sequence to 1. HDD , but the setup/install process hasn't been completed...

I'm literally beginning to tear out my hair!!! I've tried adjusting and disabling bios settings and I get no where.

What gets me is that I just finished refurbishing a different computer in EXACTLY the same manner and there were no problems at all. It simply restarted and completed the installation.

ANY HELP OR SUGGESTIONS WOULD BE VERY VERY MUCH APPRECIATED...

- Nathan

P.S.
System specs are as follows:

MOBO: ASUS P4S800-MX
CPU: Intel Pentium 4 (3GHz)
Features: On Board Graphics and Sound...
RAM: 512MB (2x 256MB)
HDD: Maxtor 80GB IDE
CD_ROM: Standard CD-ROM Read Only

Advertisements

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
The way it usually works is that at the cd-rom boot it asks you press "any key to continue" to go into the setup screens you've just mentionned, when you get to the part about choosing drive C: do you select delete partition in the option, that will delete any partition you have on your drive you then have to choose create partition after select drive C: to install your OS it will then bring you to the screen to choose to format in NFTS or FAT after it had finish formatting your drive it then installs the ncessary files for the inatllation and reboots, when it reboots you should not touch anything when it says "press any key to continue" this way you will not get back to those same screens but continue the installation process.

If that is what you are doing and you still have the same problem then I would suggest that right after the formating of your drive c: and the installion of the system files when it reboots go right away in your BIOS and change the boot sequence to HD 1st , maybe that will help you to continue the installation.

I have seen some CD-Rom that will not give you the option to "press any key to continue" option and immediately boots from the CD maybe this is your problem, try changing the CD-Rom to see if that helps

Hope that helps

disclosureinc

disclosureinc

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thanks for ur fast reply Alzeimer.

Yes I've experienced the "any key to continue" before although not in this circumstance.
I've been installing to a completely formatted drive. In reference to your question "do you select delete partition in the option, that will delete any partition you have on your drive you then have to choose create partit. - Yes, after the first initial installation fails and it goes into it's first reboot (and begins to install, again, I reformat the drive and delete partition etc.
It doesn't get to the stage you mention (quote: """it will then bring you to the screen to choose to format in NFTS or FAT after it had finish formatting your drive"""

Although it does install setup files and reboots.

Unfortunately, when it reboots it doesn't go to the stage you decribe:
"""when it reboots you should not touch anything when it says "press any key to continue" this way you will not get back to those same screens but continue the installation process"""

It simply goes back to the
"Boot from ATAPI CD-ROM, No Emulation..."
and automatically begins the same setup process again....

Quote: """I would suggest that right after the formating of your drive c: and the installion of the system files when it reboots go right away in your BIOS and change the boot sequence to HD 1st , maybe that will help you to continue the installation."""

I tried that too. Same result ;(

Quote: """I have seen some CD-Rom that will not give you the option to "press any key to continue" option and immediately boots from the CD maybe this is your problem, try changing the CD-Rom to see if that helps"""

I have tried a couple of cd-rom drives. The one I'm using now is an old noisy thing and the other was a re-writable which I've heard can cause conflicts too.

I will try installing a more reliable cd-rom drive and see how it goes. Will let u know how I go...

Thank you heaps for the advice.

Cheerz

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
One more try,

Check your jumper settings on your HD.

Some have the options "Master & Single" "Master & Slave" "Slave" "Cable Select"

If the jumper is in Master & Slave and you only have one HD then some motherbaord will see it as master in your Bios but will have trouble finding the HD when it needs to boot from it.

disclosureinc

disclosureinc

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Hey. thanx again for reply.
I tried changing the cd drive last night but had same problem.
I will check the jumper settings on the drive tonight. cheers

disclosureinc

disclosureinc

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
checked and tried all jumper settings. nothing worked.
I'm going to try a different HDD see how that goes...

disclosureinc

disclosureinc

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
YES!!!
I changed the HDD and it worked.
Go figure...
Thanks heaps for your input :)