Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

USB Ports

• Please log in to reply

turtlebeach

turtlebeach

• Pip
  • 2 posts
When attempting to download photos yesteday I found that none of my usb ports, card readers, etc are working. Nothing is recognized when I plug something in. I opened device manager and looked at each port and found the following message.

"Windows cannot start this hardware device because its configuration information (in the registry) is incomplete or damaged. (Code 19)
Click 'Check for solutions' to send data about this device to Microsoft and to see if there is a solution available."

The only changes recently have been to uninstall an older & expired version of Norton Internet Security and to install Kaspersky Internet Security 2010. I'm a long way from being knowledgeable about comuters so I'm hoping someone can help me identify what happened and how I can get the ports working again.

Thanks for your help!

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,007 posts
Hi turtlebeach :)
Have you tried re-installing or updating the drivers for the device?

turtlebeach

turtlebeach

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I have tried updating and am told I have the most current drivers. I suppose I'll have to reinstal the drivers to see if that fixes things.

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts
You could try a solution that as helped me before with similar problem, no garantee it will work but worth trying.

Unplug any device in all USB port and uninstall your USB in device manager and shut down your computer (not restart but close) once it is off unplug your power cord and leave it unplug overnight.

Next day plug your computer back and when you start go in your Bios and check if your USB controlers are enable, once your sure they are enable save your bios setting and hopefully once Windows starts it will reinstall all your USB drivers properly and they will work again.

If your computer is a labtop also remove the battery so your labtop will not have any electricity connected to it.

Edited by Alzeimer, 19 April 2010 - 04:49 PM.