Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Unable to connect to internet and speakers not working

• Please log in to reply

river_jayne

river_jayne

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
Hi

I previously posted here regarding not being able to boot from CD, that has now been solved, but I can't close the topic. I'm sorry if I shouldn't have started a new one but there is now a different problem and Rorschach112, who has been helping me with malware, recommended I come back here.

I have been going through malware removal of a trojan horse and since running the OTL fix have been unable to connect to the internet and my speakers have stopped working. I think the trojan horse is now gone, although it was only ever detected on opening which only happened when I went online so can't verify this.

Running Windows XP with service pack 3
2GB RAM
AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 6000+, MMX, 3DNow (2 CPUs)
Hard Drive - 111GB capacity, 42.6GB used

I have all my original install discs and the malware thread that ended with a recommendation to come here is at http://www.geekstogo...HH-t274490.html

Please help - I am posting from a netbook now connected to my modem (as I don't have wireless at home) and can transfer between the two via usb stick if you need me to download or copy anything.

Many thanks

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Pls check Device Manager for the Network Adaptor and Sound card, to see if there are any warnings.
Start, My Computer - right click - Properties - Hardware

river_jayne

river_jayne

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Thanks for picking this up :)

Device manager says all devices are working properly

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Open Network Connections, what is the info re the connection please, ie: Network Adaptor and if it was working is it ethernet connection and what is message on Browser when connection is tried.

river_jayne

river_jayne

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
The message in the browsers is 'Server not found'

Network connections in control panel is empty, my internet options are set to LAN and auto detect settings. Tried the network wizard out of interest but it couldn't help me without a cd from provider which I don't have (on Virgin and the techs set it up at install).
Device manager registers 1394 net adapter and NVIDA nForce Networking controller, both working properly.

Also checked sounds and audio devices in control panel and it says 'no audio devices found'

Sorry if none of that is helpful, just thought I'd try and give you as much info as I could

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts
Did you go check in your Bios if your integrated Audio and Network (LAN) are enable.

river_jayne

river_jayne

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
I didn't know I could - thanks for the tip

BIOS says:
Onboard audio function set to auto
Onchip MAC Lan set to auto
Smart LAN - onboard 1394 enabled, onboard LAN boot ROM disabled

Are those the settings you mean and are they correct?

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
On Network connections in Control Panel the Nvidia should be shown, even if shown as not connected
Go back to Device Manager and open Network Adaptor by clicking on plus sign and then double click the Nvidia. Check that it is shown as (USE THIS DEVICE - Enable) on the bottom line.

On post 2 when I asked you to check Device Manager for Sound etc - you replied all working properly.
Please post what is shown when "Sound Video and Game Controllers" is opened.
You can do this by Leaving just Device Manager open, press Prt Screen key. Open Paint, click edit, click Paste, Save and attach to next post.

river_jayne

river_jayne

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Morning

Yes, the NVIDA is enabled in device manager (as is the 1394 adapter).

Screen capture attached - I noticed in device manager that all the sound, video and game controller options, although saying working properly, are marked 'location unknown' apart from Realtek High Definition Audio Properties, which is enabled.
There's no option to enable the others.

Attached File  screen1.bmp   486.12KB   39 downloads

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts
There are well documented problems that comes with the NVIDIA networking manager and integrated firewall that comes with the driver suite that you install, I would suggest you unsinstall your network card and try to install only the driver for it not the full suite of options.

Go to Add/Remove program to see if you have the Nvidia network manager program install, if you have uninstall it and reboot that might help, if not then try my previous suggestion.

As for your Realtek High Definition Audio check if you have this program in your Add/Remove screen "High Definition Audio Driver Package KB888111" if it is there uninstall it and reboot, after reboot reinstall you driver and reboot.

Advertisements

river_jayne

river_jayne

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Hi - sorry for the delay

Nvida network manager does not come up on my list of installed programs in control panel. I have Nvida drivers - which gives me the option to remove Display driver, ethernet driver components and IDE driver.
Should I just uninstall the ethernet one and reinstall from the cd? Sorry to be a pain I'm just not sure what I'm doing and you guys all know way more!

Also I don't have a cd that says realtek on it anywhere, but my motherboard cd, which says nvida chipsets also says audio, so is that the right one?

Thank you so much for your help

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts
The Net Adapter 1394 is what is also called a Firewire connector similar to USB but with a higher transfer rate.

For your other devices in "Sound Video and game controllers" that indicate location unknow do not worry it is normal those are not physical devices but are windows programs for your soundcard so no real location on your motherboard.

As for your screen shot of your Nvidia Nforce network controller, I have notice that you do not have a tab called RESOURCES which usually tells you which IRQ resources the system uses for it and if any conflict with other resources. (see attachment)

You could try to uninstall your Ethernet drivers only and reinstall them making sure when you do to check the oprions you are installing (only install the drivers if possible) if in the setup menu you have the option to install other programs (network manager, firewall) do not install them.

Try the same with your Soundcard from the cd (NVIDIA chipset) and install the audio drivers.

Let us know the results.

Sorry if mine is in French, that is my native language.

river_jayne

river_jayne

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
All still the same as before I'm afraid.

Uninstalled via control panel and reinstalled from the cd - hardware wizard auto-detected sound and 'other PCI bridge device' so I let it do it's thing.

However still can't get a connection and network manager still doesn't show under network connections. There was no option offered to leave out the manager and firewall, so should I try doing it manually from the cd and if so how can I do that?

Realtek reinstalled fine and seemed to be working - when I unplugged my speakers it told me 'a jack has been unplugged' and detected it when I put the speakers back in, but still no sound. I went to the volume control (just in case!) and it would not open as no active mixing devices were detected, although Realtek was definitely active.

I did however get microsoft signing errors for both devices on reinstalling the drivers that warned of compatability issues, however they have both worked fine for almost 2 years, till now.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Try this
http://fixitcenter.s...soft.com/Portal

river_jayne

river_jayne

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
I'm not sure how I can install this if I can't connect to the internet?
I tried downloading the install file and transferring via USB, but it needs the internet to install. So I installed on my netbook and tried just copying the whole program folder, but it wont run without internet as it says it needs to download trouble shooters and then closes itself.

Am I doing something really daft?