Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Unable to connect to internet and speakers not working

• Please log in to reply

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
My apologies, I forgot you could not get on the network.
Uninstall the Network Device. ie: the Nvidia.
Do not install from the CD.
reboot and see if Windows will find the driver, then see if it is shown in Network Connections

Advertisements

river_jayne

river_jayne

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
I'm afraid it just keeps getting worse!

I uninstalled the nvida drivers again, and the sound drivers/realtek.
Then rebooted and windows detected the hardware as new and opened the add hardware wizard, it autodetected the drivers on the cd and installed them.

Kept getting windows logo testing errors warning me of potential compatibility issues, I clicked 'continue anyway' and it worked fine for realtek, but now it is stuck trying to install 'Nvida nForce 590/570/550 Serial ATA Controller'. I get the same windows logo testing erros, then after i continue it says 'The file 'nvata.sys' on SRCDATA is needed' which it cannot find. I tried directing it to the cd but it did not work.
If I then quit the installation I still have no internet or sound and on top of that the pc no longer recognises the CD drive under my computer.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
This appears to be the driver you need, download it to a floppy if you have that or to USB pen and see if it will accept it.
As it keeps warning of compatability issues have you checked the CD to ensure thet are drivers for XP.
I would do the same with the Realtek and the Nvidia Network card, I would not install those from the CD

http://www.downloada...tem_272042.html

Edited by Macboatmaster, 22 April 2010 - 06:49 PM.

river_jayne

river_jayne

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Okay, I've got the download on USB, transferred and started it on my pc, but I keepe getting the automatic detection of new hardware, which goes straight into compatibility error message and whether I continue or quit out it doesn't finsih and 2 seconds later comes up again.
The download wont install until I close that, but I can't ever close it for long enough to intall before it comes back - is there a way to turn off autodetect of new hardware?

river_jayne

river_jayne

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Oh yeah - and it is definitely the windows XP cd that I was using

river_jayne

river_jayne

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Okay I managed to get it to install from the file downloaded from the link you posted, although I still got the windows logo testing error and warned of compatibility issues even from that.
I restarted as prompted and on restart the computer once again detected the ATA controller as new hardware? What's going on here? I'm very, very confused!

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
I would do the same with the Realtek and the Nvidia Network card, I would not install those from the CD

When it detected new hardware - did you then point the driver install to the file from the download.

I cannot understand the frequent compatability issues - It is running XP I presume.
My Computer, right click - Properties. It will show the system and the variant.
I appreciate this seems rather basic, but it would explain the warning.

river_jayne

river_jayne

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
I did install from the download - the cd was not even in the drive.

Yes, it is definitely running xp - could the service packs be causing the incompatibilty problems? I'm on service pack 3.

I think it may be time for me to reintstall windows and reformat as I need to get back to work and there's only so much of that I can do on my netbook. If I back up my files onto my external drive is there a chance I will back up a copy of the virus if we haven't gotten rid of it? (Most of my stuff is already backed up but there will be some of the most recent bits that aren't)

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
NO do not do that just yet.
Put the XP CD in the drive, do not let it run, if it goes to the usual XP What do you want to do, just cancel it.
Go to Start, Run and type "sfc /scannow.
This will check all the system files and replace any corrupted from the CD. When finished remove CD
Then back in run type "chkdsk /f"
NOTE spaces between "sfc and / and chkdsk and /
This will produce a System Command Window which will ask Do you wish to schedule for next reboot. Y/N
Indicate Y. type exit. and reboot. This will take some time DO NOT SWITCH OFF or use computer
Try that and report back.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 24 April 2010 - 01:53 PM.

river_jayne

river_jayne

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Hi - I've already gone through that procedure on the malware forum and once again since, it didn't work.
I'm afraid I already started the reformat and reinstall before you posted. Seems to have worked fine though. I'm back online, speakers are working, no more compatibility issues and no virus warnings.

Thanks for all your help.

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Sorry we could not solve it before. Good luck.
Please come back of course if you need any help.

river_jayne

river_jayne

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Will do - this forum is great and you guys have been amazing - thank you :)