Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

"Funny" Punctuation

• Please log in to reply

KenFF

KenFF

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I run Firefox and Thunderbird and often when I type an apostrophe it produces the letter "e" with an acute accent. Shift gives me the upper case version. Typing "/" or "?" does the same thing and "\" produces an a... This also happens sometimes when using Corel QuatroPro Spreadsheet.

It's done this for years and it's annoying but re-booting or sometimes just restarting the application fixes it for a while.

Recently I bought a new Acer-One Netbook also running XP and this has the same problem except that it NEVER types the right character and is consistantly wrong for all apps even Wordpad.

An external keyboard doesn't help.

Anyone know what causes this and how to fix?

Ken Franks
Calgary, Alberta
CANADA

Advertisements

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts
If you have a when you type it is because you prabably have your keybord set to either Canadian French or Canadian Multilanguage Standard. I am French and this is how I have to set up my keybord to be able to use these characters ", , , ".

The only thing i am suspicious about is that you say it does not happen all the time but it's worth checking it out.

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
In addition to that, make sure there are no Acer apps controlling the Accessibility or Language/Keyboard controls. It may have been set to French Canadian since you are in Canada.

KenFF

KenFF

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Yeah, thanks, I scanned and cleaned the whole machine just in case it was a keystroke logger.

Then, finally, managed to change it to US - took a couple of tries to delete the Canadian Multilingual (don't know why but those Frenchies are Dam persistent you know! :) )

Now I am going to have a go at the other 2 machines that have been annoying me for years!!!

I'm guessing that the the Canadian Keyboard feature is just Buggy, 'cause I'm using it now with no problems and I can't find a key combination that changes it.

Thanks, I'll post again if I find it - any other suggestions still welcome.

AWESOME FORUM GUYS

Edited by KenFF, 19 April 2010 - 05:14 PM.

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
Great, any further questions with this issue please follow up here :)