Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Setting up Wireless Network.. problems

• Please log in to reply

SMV

SMV

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi, I am not too literate with this, so please bear with me. If given step by step instructions, I feel I can follow them. I will try to give as much info as possible, and if I miss something, just ask and I will provide.

I have moved in with a friend. She has Cable internet access. I have a Linksys router that I was using for my network at my old house.

I have an XP desktop. I have an XP laptop. She owns a win2000 desktop.

I was able to link up my XP desktop through the WAP into the cable modem and get internet perfectly fine. I can connect to said network with my laptop with ease.

Here is where it becomes an issue.

She has a "SiS 900 PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter" on her comp. She was getting high speed acces just fine before. (We have the driver cd)

But since I have taken the cable modem out of the bedroom and put it in the living room, and her comp is in the bedroom, I figured we could just tack on my really old USB adapter to her pc and be fine. I mean, the laptop connected with no issues with its internal card.

Well the adapter (MN-510 Microsoft USB adapter) was packed away. I finally found it and when I connected it to her pc, it registered "unknown device".

I cannot find the setup cd that came with the adapter. I was able to scour the internet to find a driver. I installed the driver and now it reads the usb device as "Microsoft Broadband Networking Wireless USB Adapter".

I thought, great, just restart and all will be well. No dice.

Basically in a nutshell, she can't find her win2000 cd and I am trying to find out if I should even bother buying a new USB adapter or if it another issue entirely.

In the Network and Dial-up Connections folder, it reads the old "Local Area Connection" as status "Network cable unplugged" and the new "Local Area Connection" as status "Enabled". But both are LAN Connections. I cannot, for the life of me get a "Wireless Network Connection" icon even to appear. I have tried everything I can think of.

The USB Adapter has two green lights... one for power and one for wireless. The power one was steady since first plugging it in, and the wireless one went green when I put in the SSID of my network. Unfortunatley, since I can't even connect online, I am feeling that it really isn't seeing the router or network at all.

I hope I haven't lost anyone. Any comments/suggestions would be takne most graciously. Please help in any way possible. Thanks.

SMV

Advertisements

miles_obrien

miles_obrien

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
Hi,
As much fun as it is to make stuff work, it would probably be easier to get a new Linksys USB adapter for your girlfriend. There are a couple of reasons:
1 She will think very highly of you for spending your hard earned money on her ( a new wireless USB adapter will probably be under 20 bucks...
2. You get all the driver disks, manuals etc. and while not a rule, it is the norm that most companies' products work a little better with each other.
Mike

SMV

SMV

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello,

Well just to keep everyone updated, I did go out and buy the Linksys 102.11B USB adapter from Best Buy.

At first they kept trying to get me to buy the G adapter for $78. Which in my opinion is too much for just the adapter.

But I was able to find a B adapter off in another isle (I think they were trying to hide them or something, as they weren't with any of the other adapters.), and the price read $49. I figured for half the price, she wouldn't notice the difference. All she does is check her gmail and look at houses and stuff. Nothing major. No gaming no DL'ing.

So I bought the adapter and to my surprise, there was a rebate for another $20 off with the model I purchased. Great deal.

I hooked it up, and even though it doesn't quite connect i the same way I expected, it works great.

The icon still reads "Local Area Network Connection 3" and still says it is a LAN connection instead of wireless, but I'm not going to fix it if it isn't broke.

I suppose when I find the driver cd for the old microsoft USB adapter it will work for my old win98 machine that is in a box. But it isn;t really a priority. 3 machines for 2 people is plenty.

When I posted I was hoping it was just something I overlooked, and I wouldn;t have to go out and buy something. But no worries, All is well that ends well.

Thanks again... time to lurk and learn. :tazz:

Hemal

Hemal

Founding Fart

• Technician
  • 1,470 posts
Glad your problem is solved :tazz:

Insanitystreak

Insanitystreak

• PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
Glad you managed to fix it.