Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

What componants do I need to build my PC

• Please log in to reply

DIYPC

DIYPC

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi I really need some help here!

I need to build a PC it's my first build. so if i choose a motherboard then i find what is compatable is this right.
If i could just work out which componants to get i can use the walk through on this site to build it.
PC is for surfing internet, email, photo storage, school work,
some online games not big games,watching videos etc
Im in Australia so I will probly buy from mwave, PC superstore somewhere like that
spend under $800. AU
a shop quote was $1100. with GIGABYTE GA MA77Ot UD3 for an idea of what system they were looking at.
Ive got a screen, keyboard, mouse, speakers
can you get a case with 4 USB or do i need a USB card thingy? Do I need a tall or mini tower.Why is it that the flat desk top cases not popular the ones you can put
I will need OS windows 7
Expandable Mother board (how do I know if its expandable)

thanks so much

Advertisements

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
I recommend going with AMD to save on the build and let you have an SSD for your main hard drive for Windows 7 and your main programs. Then use the 1TB Hard Drive for data storage. AMD makes a very quality product. Intel is good too, but more expensive. Take a look at a mock build I put together for you...

Athlon II x2 3.0ghz AMD Processor - $64
Gigabyte 785g Chipset Motherboard - $80
4gb (2gb x 2)1066mhz Kingston HyperX Memory - $120
Intel X-25 40gb SSD (Main Hard Drive for Windows 7 and Main Programs) - $130
Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB (For storage of your DATA and Programs you don't use very much) - $100
OCZ ModXtreme 500 Watt 80 Plus Certified PSU - $70
Cooler Master Centurion rc-534-kkn2-gp Case - $48
LG DVD/CD Burner Combo Drive - $26
Windows 7 Home Premium OEM 64bit (English) - $100

$738 AU TOTAL

PC is for surfing internet, email, photo storage, school work,
some online games not big games,watching videos etc

This PC will do all of what you mentioned you will be using it for. Since you aren't a "Gamer" playing "big games" you don't need to spend money on a dedicated video card. Just use the onboard that comes with this motherboard.

What do you think? Let me know. :)

so if i choose a motherboard then i find what is compatable is this right

That's generally how it goes. Pick a board you like and pick what else is compatible with it.

can you get a case with 4 USB or do i need a USB card thingy?

I'm not 100% sure what you mean here. The motherboard comes with 6 USB ports on the back which will be accessible through the cases In/Out Ports shield on the back. The Cooler Master case comes with 2 USB ports on the front that will connect to Internal Headers on the Motherboard which the one I recommend has 3 headers. Each header supports 2 USB ports.

Expandable Mother board (how do I know if its expandable)

Well, I think you mean upgradeable. For example, with this motherboard you can upgrade to a faster Phenom II x4 CPU if you ever wanted too and it can hold a maximum of 16gb's of RAM. It has a PCI-Express x16 2.0 slot you can put a big video card in if you ever got into the "big games" that require a dedicated graphics card. It has 5 SATA ports and you will be using 3 of them, so you have two to use if you ever add another CD/DVD player and/or hard drive for storage. So I would say it's expandable.

That's all for now. Keep in touch and let me know what you think. :)