Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer is turning off and rebooting

• Please log in to reply

Colorblind

Colorblind

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Guys I am sooo confused by my gaming computer.... I have worked with it for the past couple of days and I have figured out nothing.

It is turning all the way off or just rebooting at random times (2min to 15min) of just surfing the web.

It started to turn off like the power was disconnected to it about 2 days ago. I thought that maybe it was the power supply. It had a PowMax 500w psu in it and I changed it out with a Thermaltake Silent Purepower 480(used from one of my other systems) to try to cure this. Now with that done the computer now does random reboots about every 2 minutes..... I am just curious what the chances might be that both psu's have gone bad. I have checked all my fans in the case and on the cpu and they seem to be working properly also so I think heat isn't a issue :tazz:

I was wondering what anyone else might think or might have had this same experience or might know how good of a psu does Thermaltake build compared to Ultra and Antec.

Oh! My system specs are..
AMD 2600+ Athlon XP
Biostar (can't remember model #) mobo
Ati Radeon 9800se
SB Plat. Sound
Maxtor 80gig 7200 HD
1gig 3200 RAM
D-Link LAN card
Windows XP Pro

Thanks in advance to any and all help you can send my way!

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
It's unlikely that two PSUs, especially given that they are both an adequate size, are suffering the same problem.

Check your system temps. Just because the fans are all working doesn't mean nothing is overheating.

Also, does this only happen when you are on the net or is it happening all the time now?

Colorblind

Colorblind

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
I went and picked up another psu today and it didn't help.....

I really never thought of it until I saw your post but it really reminds me of heat problems I have seen in the past. Although all those time I had the cooling fan on the cpu fail.

I just played around with it and it took about 5min for it to shut down while playing around on the net... Then I turned it back on and loaded World of Warcraft and it shut off in about 2min. So I am thinking it might be a heat issue.

What is the best way to check my system temps? Are they any good programs that can tell me what temps the system is running at?

Thank you so much for your help!

Rockster2U

Rockster2U

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 327 posts
Either check your temps in BIOS or download and install Everest. You also might want to get a little canned air and blow out your heatsink but I too think Samm gave you a good starting point will bite my tongue until you come back with some info.

:tazz:

Colorblind

Colorblind

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Wow Everest is a very cool program :tazz:

Ok here is what the computer readings were on Everest right before shutting down...

These temps were with World of Warcraft running.

Mobo- 95
Cpu- 138
HD- 75
(temps in fahrenheit)

Let me know what you guys think...

Thanks again!

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
If those temps are at idle you got temp problems, explain how your case fans are set up and what kind and how you applied the thermal paste on the cpu hs

Rick

Colorblind

Colorblind

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Well in the case I have 4 92mm case fans.... One in the bottom front of the case pulling air into and over the mobo. Then two are in the rear of the case pulling air out of the case. The last is sitting in the top rear of the case pulling air out as well. This is a full tower case btw :tazz:

When I applied the thermal paste I applied a dot about the size of a grain of rice on the cpu hs and spread it out as thin as possible.

Thanks!

Rockster2U

Rockster2U

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 327 posts
Good to read your last post - now we know we're not dealing with a rookie. As to the grain of rice, you read well too. Your temps are a bit on the high side and first thing to do there would be to get a can of air and have at it. You can also use dry QTips on your fan blades,

:tazz:

Edited by Rockster2U, 22 May 2005 - 05:04 AM.

Colorblind

Colorblind

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Good to read your last post - now we know we're not dealing with a rookie.

Problems like this sure make me feel like one :tazz:

I will pick up some cans of air tommorrow(used the last one on my gf's pc) and I think I have some Arctic Silver 5 here as well. I might just clean off the old white thermal paste than came with hs and replace it with Silver 5. Then I will clean all my fans really good and see what happens!

I will keep you guys posted!

Thanks soo much for the help!

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
I must say the airflow in your case must be very nice and I to see your no rookie Everthing points to a cpu temp problem so I would clean and apply AS5.

Make sure the hs is installed the correct way it is possible to install a socket A hs 180 degrees in the wrong direction, look for the step on the hs it has to face the part of the socket that says 462.

While your at it make sure the fan on top of the hs is blowing down on top of it not away.

Rick

Colorblind

Colorblind

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Well guys I got the problem solved! I am thinking my hs and fan might be wearing down on me. I replaced the thremal compound on the cpu and I cleaned my hs and fan and that just seemed to slow the heating process(it was still overheating though). I then got creative and took a extra case fan I had laying around and got it where it is blowing air through the side of the hs... this caused the temps to drop to 36c under load :tazz:

So I am going to order myself a new hs tommorrow! I am thinking that will solve my problem.

Thank you all for all your help!!!!

Edited by Colorblind, 22 May 2005 - 06:43 PM.

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Your wecome.

Is the computer now stable since the cpu is now cooler?

Colorblind

Colorblind

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Yes it is! I left it running all day and it has not shut down yet.

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Great then then the fan must be the problem, can you take the "case fan you have laying around" and use it to replace the faulty one?

You don't need a new heatsink just a fan, any case fan will work as long as it has the 3 pin connector to connect to the mobo and is the same size.