Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

graphics card issues

• Please log in to reply

dariusb

dariusb

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi, I'm trying to upgrade my graphics card. I currently have a GeForce 7600 GT installed in my ASUS A8N-E Motherboard, with AMD processor. I first tried to install an EVGA GeForce 250 GTS. The fan span for it but I got no picture. Also to note is that normally upon booting up my computer makes a beeping noise as it passes the screen to enter bios. I'm not sure what screen it was at, but the beep was significantly delayed (around 7 seconds)and instead of being a single beep, there were 3 quickly proceeding beeps. (These beeps are the kinds that occur when you hold down too many keys on a keyboard, I'm not sure what their name is.) The 250 GTS took up two PCI spaces, and I noticed that the bottom space it took up made it block the chipset fan. Therefore, I assumed that was the issue, return it and bought an EVGA GT 240, which only took up one spot, however the problem persists and the fan spins with no picture. The same types of beeps persist in a the same quantity (3). Before I put each into my computer, I installed their drivers. They are both PCI Express 2.0 x16 graphics cards and I'm not sure if my motherboard has PCI Express 1.0 or 2.0 x16 slots, but I thought that 2.0 was backwards compatible. If anybody could guide me in the right direction or help it would be much appreciated. Thanks!

(Also, while the 250 said on the box for a minimum recommended power supply of 450 watts, and my current power supply is 350, the 240 only asks for 350 watts, which is what I have. Regardless, when I calculate both into a wattage calculator for my computer and include capacitor aging the both total under 350.)

Advertisements

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
350 watts is the miniimum recommended I would suggest trying a 450 or more if you can borrow one from someone to see if it would make a difference.

Even if a power supply says 350 watts it rarely delivers 350 watts of stable wattage so depending of what is install on your pc as hardware it might be strecthing it's limit.

As for the beep codes check this link it may help you determine the reason of the beeps depending of your Bios manufacturer.
http://www.computerhope.com/beep.htm

dariusb

dariusb

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Thanks for your reply. As far as power goes, the GeForce 240 uses less power than my 7600, so are you sure that power is the issue? My beep codes are telling me a video error has occurred and cannot initialize the video screen to display any information. Thanks for the help, get back to me as soon as possible :)

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
I do not know the difference in power between the two but to me a 350 watt for your system seems low and the beeps seem to be pointing towards the video card not initializing so like i said try to borrow (not buy one in case not the problem) a bigger PSU and eliminate this avenue in solving or not your problem.

When you put you 7600 back does it still work good, if yes then we know its not your motherbaord or PCI-E slot that is defective.

The problem seems to be the BIOS is not able to initalize your new video cards (beeps) just have to eliminate the reasons for it and not enough power is one reason.

dariusb

dariusb

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Ok, I'll go buy a PSU tomorrow (my local store has a pretty much unlimited return policy) and check if that's the problem. Yes, my 7600 works when I put it in. Thanks

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
also the Minimum of a 450 Watt power supply is the absolute minimum...you should go higher
(Minimum recommended power supply with has to have a +12 Volt current rating of 24 Amps
if you get a cheap PSU that does not have a 80% plus rating you could have issues...don't go cheap...
also make sure you plug in the video card auxiliary power connector...

Attached Thumbnails

• video_card_aux_power.jpg

dariusb

dariusb

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Ok, I bought a 500 Watt power supply (Coolermaster eXtreme Power Plus 500W [Is this PSU fine?]) and still no success with the 240 card (my 7600 works fine with the new PSU). Also, the graphics card has no socket for the auxiliary power. What else could it be?

Edited by dariusb, 25 April 2010 - 08:54 PM.