Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

\Windows\System32\Config\System

• Please log in to reply

dbrupp

dbrupp

• PipPip
  • 49 posts
Hello,
I have a Dell Dimension 2400 desktop with Windows XP Pro service pack 1 (according to Dell when I provided them with the service tag #). It's pentium 4 if it makes a difference.

When I turn it on, I immediately get message:
"The following file is missing or corrupt \Windows\System32\Config\System" and am promptedto insert the boot CD that came with the computer and press 'r' to repair. I don't have the CD for that computer, but my friend has a dell 3100 E310 resource CD that reinstalls software and device drivers. His version of XP is different than mine though. Will this CD work?

When I got the error message, I pressed ESC and the "dell" page opens like the computer is booting to windows, but then the error comes back up. I've also pressed ESC again and separately tried F12 and F2 to see if I can boot in safe mode, but don't see the option for safe mode.

I saw a thread that sounds fool proof. Should I follow the following guide?http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/How-to-repair-c-windowssystem32configsys-t273466.html

Please let me know if you need further information that will help you determine the correct course of action for repair.

Thank You

Advertisements

amy-82

amy-82

• Pip
  • 1 posts
hi i need help opening files from windowsxp pls help. :)

FNP

FNP

• PipPipPip
  • 606 posts
dbrupp-

That tutorial is solid. You should be good to go if you follow the directions properly. :) feel free to post back here if you have any questions regarding this process.

amy-82-

Hi and welcome to Geeks to Go! :)

Please post a separate thread in the appropriate forum. Please try to be as specific with your problem as possible so that we may assist you.

dbrupp

dbrupp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
Thanks FearNothingProductions,
It just dawned on me that the tuturial says that the tools needed are:
-Ultimate Boot CD 4 Windows
-windows XP CD

I'm batting .1000; I don't have the Windows XP CD to make the Ultimate Boot CD. My desktop was loaded with XP Pro SP1. Would it be a problem if I used an XP home CD from someone else's computer?

Your shared wisdom is greatly appreciated.
-DB

FNP

FNP

• PipPipPip
  • 606 posts
dbrupp-

Your computer was likely loaded with SP1. Have you been running Windows Updates at all? If you have, chance are you are running SP2 or SP3.

Let me look into the CD question. I'll have an answer later on this morning.

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
You can as long as the CD your using matches whats installed on your machine. Since your on a Dell, we will assume its an OEM copy.

This will also work as well: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307545

dbrupp

dbrupp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
Hi Diabillic & FearNothingProductions,
You are correct, the computer is a Dell with OEM Windows XP Professional. I'm not too sure, but guessing it has at least SP2 installed.

Diabillic,
Thanks for your response. I'm a little mixed up with which option I should choose.
My desktop came with XP Professional installed (OEM).

1. Regarding http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307545, it says "Warning Do not use the procedure that is described in this article if your computer has an OEM-installed operating system. The system hive on OEM installations creates passwords and user accounts that did not exist previously. If you use the procedure that is described in this article, you may not be able to log back into the recovery console to restore the original registry hives."
-Should this concern me?
2. Regarding the XP reinstallation CD that my friend let me borrow, that he got with his older Dell laptop. It says Reinstallation CD - Microsoft XP Home Edition- Including Service Pack 1a.
-My desktop came with XP Professional installed; so, I guess this CD won't work for my computer (when applied to the ultimate boot disc). Or will it?

Thanks Again,
db

dbrupp

dbrupp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
Hi Diabillic & FearNothingProductions,
You are correct, the computer is a Dell with OEM Windows XP Professional. I'm not too sure, but guessing it has at least SP2 installed.

Diabillic,
Thanks for your response. I'm a little mixed up with which option I should choose.
My desktop came with XP Professional installed (OEM).

1. Regarding http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307545, it says "Warning Do not use the procedure that is described in this article if your computer has an OEM-installed operating system. The system hive on OEM installations creates passwords and user accounts that did not exist previously. If you use the procedure that is described in this article, you may not be able to log back into the recovery console to restore the original registry hives."
-Should this concern me?
-Will I need to create the "ultimate boot CD"? or should the steps @ http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307545 take care of the problem?
2. Regarding the XP reinstallation CD that my friend let me borrow, that he got with his older Dell laptop. It says Reinstallation CD - Microsoft XP Home Edition- Including Service Pack 1a.
-My desktop came with XP Professional installed; so, I guess this CD won't work for my computer (when applied to the ultimate boot disc). Or will it?

Thanks again
db

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
Ok, lets try this.

First, download NTFS4DOS and burn the .iso to disc. Now boot to it. This will boot you into a DOS enviroment with full read/write permissions for NTFS.

Next you will need to type in the following lines:

md tmp
copy c:\windows\system32\config\system c:\windows\tmp\system.bak
copy c:\windows\system32\config\software c:\windows\tmp\software.bak
copy c:\windows\system32\config\sam c:\windows\tmp\sam.bak
copy c:\windows\system32\config\security c:\windows\tmp\security.bak
copy c:\windows\system32\config\default c:\windows\tmp\default.bak

delete c:\windows\system32\config\system
delete c:\windows\system32\config\software
delete c:\windows\system32\config\sam
delete c:\windows\system32\config\security
delete c:\windows\system32\config\default

copy c:\windows\repair\system c:\windows\system32\config\system
copy c:\windows\repair\software c:\windows\system32\config\software
copy c:\windows\repair\sam c:\windows\system32\config\sam
copy c:\windows\repair\security c:\windows\system32\config\security
copy c:\windows\repair\default c:\windows\system32\config\default

Remove the CD and reboot.

dbrupp

dbrupp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
Thanks for your detailed response.
At the link you provided, NTFS4DOS, @ the save/run option for the download, I "saved" the .exe to my desktop (of my working computer) and then save the .exe to a CD.
- I inserted the CD in to my non-working PC and I heard the CD drive engage, but nothing happened from there.
- so I pressed "esc" on my keyboard and then f12 (boot options).
- I chose option 4 (IDE CD-ROM device)
- I got "strike F1 to retry boot, F2 for setup utility

I assumed that burning the actual ntfs_h executible to the disc was incorrect so I double clicked on the executible and also went back to the website and chose "run" at the download option and got error:
NSIS Error
The installer you are trying to use is corrupt or incomplete.
This could be the result of a damaged disk, failed download or a virus.
You may want to contact the author of the installer to obtain a new copy.
It may be possible to skip this check using the /NCRC command line switch
(NOT RECOMMENDED).

Should I try http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307545
-Will I need to create the "ultimate boot CD" using http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307545 or should the steps @ http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307545 take care of the problem?
- If I need to create the 'ultimate boot CD", the computer is loaded with XP Professional. I only have Reinstallation CD - Microsoft XP Home Edition- Including Service Pack 1a (it came with an older laptop). Will this work?
Sorry to keep bothering you.

Advertisements

FNP

FNP

• PipPipPip
  • 606 posts
Just to jump back in here :)

That link is solid, and the CD you have will work. You don't need to create the Ultimate Boot CD. Make sure that you select 'R' to run the Recovery Console once you have booted from the CD. Then follow the steps listed at the help article.

EDIT: I'm silly :)

Edited by FearNothingProductions, 28 April 2010 - 08:04 PM.

dbrupp

dbrupp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
Thank you for all of your time, help, and patience while I attempt the fix.
I tried the http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307545 and saved the download to a flash drive as it suggested. Unfortunately, my computer wouldn't boot from it.

In response, I made the ultimate boot CD 4 Windows (saved as .ISO and burned to disc.). When I started my computer, I inserted the ultimate boot CD 4 Windows.
My computer screen remained with message "Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: \windows\system32\config\system. You can attempt to repair this file by starting windows setup using the original setup CD-ROM. select 'r' at the first screen to start repair."

When I press 'esc', my screen shows 'dell' and on the top right I see f2= setup and f12= boot menu.

On boot menu (f12), my options are:
1. Normal
2. diskette drive
3. Hard-disk Drive c:
4. IDE CD-ROM Device
I chose #4. IDE CD-ROM device and got message "Strike f1 to retry reboot, f2 for setup utility." I pressed f1 and got the same "Strike f1 to retry reboot, f2 for setup utility." Each time I pressed f1, I got the same message.
I tried f2 (setup utility). At option boot sequence, I unchecked (disabled) Diskette Drive & Hard-Disk Drive C. I left the checkmark (endabled) next to IDE CD-Rom Device. This resulted in the same message - "Strike f1 to retry reboot, f2 for setup utility."
To make a long story short, it appears my computer is not reading any of the boot discs or flash drives that I insert. The CD spins in the drive; I can hear it and when I checked, the CD had repositioned itself from how I loaded it. It would be amazing if you had an idea of how I can get the "Launch 'The Ultimate Boot CD for Windows" option to populate when I insert the "Ultimate Boot CD".

If you're out of ideas, no hard feelings; I appreciate everything you've done.
-db

FNP

FNP

• PipPipPip
  • 606 posts
dbrupp-

Sounds like the CD is bad. What program did you use to burn the disc?

Edited by FNP, 02 May 2010 - 08:05 PM.

dbrupp

dbrupp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
Thanks for your suggestion that the CD may be bad. I used "Record Now". I will create a different CD with a different recorder and see if that works and report back to you.

Regards,
db

FNP

FNP

• PipPipPip
  • 606 posts
Okay. :) Just wanted to make sure you were actually burning the ISO image, not just copying the file straight onto the CD.