Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

\Windows\System32\Config\System

• Please log in to reply

dbrupp

dbrupp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
sorry for my lack of response; 2 full time jobs, a baby and a spouse have been keeping me busy. I will reburn the ISO using a different burner tonight and let you know my results.
I checked the 'bad' CD and I saw that the ISO is on it, it required 700+ mb of CD space. Not sure if that is the correct; so, it can't hurt for me to make a new CD with a different burner.
-db

Advertisements

FNP

FNP

• PipPipPip
  • 606 posts
Not a problem. :) I will continue to monitor your topic.

dbrupp

dbrupp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
Hi, Thanks for your patience. I hope this isn't piggy backing off of one ticket with one issue and starting a new issue on the same ticket. Please let me know if it is and I will submit a different ticket. I have quite a bit of information...sorry about that; here goes.
1). I re-burned the ISO for (the Ultimate Bood CD 4 Windows) using "Deep Burner" and that worked.
2). The computer booted and gave me the option to login (there are 4 users with their personal settings). After a few moments, I got a blue screen and the following message:
"A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.
If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:
Check to be sure you have adequate disk space. If a driver is identified in the stop message, disable the driver or check with the manufacturer for driver updates. Try changing video adapters.
Check with your hardware vendor for any BIOS updates. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use safe mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select Advanced Startup Options, and select safe mode.
Technical information:
***STOP: 0x0000008E (0xC0000005,0x8054B034,0xEF71C51C,0x00000000)
Beginning dump of physical memory
Physical memory dump complete
Contact your system administrator or technical support group for further assistance."
3a). I followed the instruction and restarted the PC (note I was unable to ctrl+alt+delete nor could I access start>turn off computer> restart; I had to power off and back on via the power button.)
3b). I got the same blue screen with ***STOP message, so restarted in safe mode.
3c). In safe mode, I got a similar blue screen STOP message, but the technical information was a little different. It said:
0x0000008E (0xC0000005,0x8054B034,0xF8677578,0x00000000)
3d). I powered off and back on again and got:
Checking file system on C
type of file system is NTFS
volume is dirty
CHKDSK verifying files (stage 1 of 3)
file verification completed
CHKDSK verifying indexes (stage 2 of 3)
index verification completed
CHKDSK is verifying security descriptors
-after this point, a quick flash of some details populated)>sorry I wasn't able to capture it.
Here's a little more information that may be helpful:
during the Ultimate Boot CD 4 Windows "Registry Restore Wizard" I selected the next to the last restore point as it suggested. I noticed the next to the last restore point and the last restore point were the same dates. Should I have chosen an earlier restore point?
A). Could I just reinsert the Ultimate Boot CD 4 Windows, go start>programs>registry tools>registry restore wizard>(oldest date) to select the very first restore point? There really isn't anything on the computer that I'm too concerned about losing.
B). The computer has 4 users, 3 of which are password protected who I no longer associate with. If I can get past the blue screen of death, is there a way to bypass the passwords of the 3 users?
Thanks,
-db

Edited by dbrupp, 08 May 2010 - 09:05 PM.