Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CD Rom used to work, but for some reason no longer works.

• Please log in to reply

WAZAAAAA

WAZAAAAA

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I am very curious, but my CD Rom no longer senses the inserted discs, while it used to work fine just recently. I found this nice website and I would like to ask for help please.

I have went to device manager - disk drives - SAMSUNG ATA DEVICE, and uninstalled it as there were some recommendations for other topics, but that seemed to make no difference.

I hope for a reply as soon as possible, Thank You.

Advertisements

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
Try any, or all four of the following:
  • Uninstall the drive in Device Manager and then Reboot. The drive will be automatically reinstalled.

or...

• http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060 and then Reboot.

or...

• Download and run Restore Missing CD Drive patch:

http://aumha.org/downloads/cdgone.zip

(Unzip cdgone.zip, right-click on cdgone.reg, click Merge, Accept, Reboot).

or...

• Go to Device Manager, click a "+" sign next to IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers. You'll see two items:
  • ATA Channel0 (or Primary Channel)
  • ATA Channel1 (or Secondary Channel)
Right-click on each of them, and click Uninstall and Confirm. When you Reboot they'll be automatically reinstalled.

If the above doesn't help, most likely, the CD/DVD drive is dead. :)

WAZAAAAA

WAZAAAAA

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
When I tried the second option, I scanned for the problems and it said that no CD,DVD roms etc were detected, it said it could be unplugged or disconnected etc there... I'm still not quite sure....

Sorry about this...

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
Try 3 next and see if it works.

If it doesn't, try 4.

It that doesn't work, the CD/DVD drive probably needs to be replaced. (They're cheap).

WAZAAAAA

WAZAAAAA

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Try 3 next and see if it works.

If it doesn't, try 4.

It that doesn't work, the CD/DVD drive probably needs to be replaced. (They're cheap).

So do i have to put the driver in manually if I buy it, or do I have to buy a program and install it.

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
Normally you don't need to do anything other than removing the old CD/DVD drive and installing the new one in its place.

Before you do though, you might go into Device Manager and Uninstall the old drive. Then Shutdown, install the new drive and boot back up.

Windows should then go through it's "Found New Hardware" routine and get it setup for you.

That's it, you're done.

WAZAAAAA

WAZAAAAA

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Normally you don't need to do anything other than removing the old CD/DVD drive and installing the new one in its place.

Before you do though, you might go into Device Manager and Uninstall the old drive. Then Shutdown, install the new drive and boot back up.

Windows should then go through it's "Found New Hardware" routine and get it setup for you.

That's it, you're done.

Thank you. But there's just one thing I'm curious about, when I went to regedit to check for my upper filters lower filters, there were neither of them there. Is this normal or will I get them back when I install the new drive?