Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Amd Atlon XP 1700+ underclocked

• Please log in to reply

chickmazta

chickmazta

• PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
I've got a problem with this processor and the motherboard, Its an AMD Athlon XP 1700+ and the mobo is a Biostar M7VIW socket A type, its really old. When I power on the machine it only displays 1100Mhz insted of being 1400Mhz. I knew that the processor is Athlon XP 1700+. So I went on the bios and tried to change the cpu clock. The default is 100, It ranges from 100 to 132, but when I try to change the number to 132 and restart nothing happens. There's no boot the fan is working but there's no display. So I cleared the cmos and went to the bios again I set the cpu clock to a lower digit like 111. After I save it I restarted the machine and this time it booted. but it shows 1221Mhz. That's odd considering that the motherboard clearly supports up to Athlon XP 2600+. Is there any thing that I may have overlooked. I'm not that really techie when it comes to processors. Tnx for any HELP!

Advertisements

DaffyKantReed

DaffyKantReed

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts
Look at JCLK1. Are pins one and two jumpered together for 133MHz? It should be the default.
ftp://ftp.biostar-usa.com/manuals/M7VIW/M7VIWmanual.pdf Page 11

I believe it should be 133MHz with a multiplier of 11x.

It could also be a setting in the BIOS, which I have no info on.

chickmazta

chickmazta

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
Sorry for the late reply and thanks for your quick attention on my case. As I have observed, the jumper you mentioned is in the correct position but when I look closer to the jumper the connectors inside are broken. I think this might have caused my problem I will get back to you as soon as I'm finished testing the motherboard Thank You again very much for the help!

chickmazta

chickmazta

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
Thanks again for the help I've already solve my issue, it was the jumper. It's in the right position but its broken the inner copper is cut that's why there's no link between them. I should have looked deeper first before posting noob questions here. hahaha... Tnx Again! and more power GTG!!!

DaffyKantReed

DaffyKantReed

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts
Good stuff.