Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Unmountable Boot Volume

• Please log in to reply

ngacsi

ngacsi

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
Good Morning!

I have a Dell Dimension 3000 that gives me a blue screen with the error:

UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME

STOP: 0x000000ED (0x82F64900,0xC0000006,0x00000000,0x00000000)

I have the Dell CD which I can boot from and it allows me to load the Recovery Console.

I'm hoping to get it running again so I didn't want to go any further until I heard from someone at Geeks to Go as to what to do next.

Thanks,

Nancy

Advertisements

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
Check the Ide cable of your Hard drive, you might have a Standard (40-Conductor) IDE/ATA Cables instead of the Ultra DMA (80-Conductor) IDE/ATA Cables

If both cables Hd drives and CD/DVD one look the same then you probably have a Standard (40-Conductor) IDE/ATA Cables.

ngacsi

ngacsi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Hi Alzeimer,

I do have a standard (40-Conductor) IDE/ATA Cable for the HD and the CD/DVD.

Nancy

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
Try to replace it with a 80-conductor cable and that might solve your problem.

ngacsi

ngacsi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
I switched it but it didn't solve my problem. I have switched it back since I know the old cable is working. It is one cable that goes to both the CD/DVD and the HD. The CD is working just fine since I can boot from it. The machine was working just fine and I've never had any cable issues in the past.

Thanks,

Nancy

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
You should have a cable for your Hard Drive and one for your CD/DVD-rom (so 2 cable)

What is your Computer model
Motherboard Model
OS (XP or Vista or ?)
How many hd (1 or 2)
how many CD/dvd (1 OR 2)

I know it used to work good with the 40 cable, I had same issue before with a computer that had worked well for a long time.

The difference between the two is the 80 one as a faster tranfer rate then the 40, the 40 is great for cd\dvd-rom but with the newer and faster demanding data tranfer required for HD by new hd or os updates the 40 wire one on a HD will work most times but might cause that BSOD error code 0x000000ED.

The way i am understanding your answer is that both your HD and CD/DVD are on the same cable, am I right?

It is not recommended to have your boot HD (drive c:) and your cd/dvd on the same cable your hd should be the master on your primary Ide drive and your CD/DVD as master on the secondary Ide drive.

daeemann

daeemann

• PipPipPip
  • 178 posts
You should follow Alzeimer's advice. And if this still doesn't fix the problem, you could go into the recovery console and use chkdsk /f command. It might take a couple of hours. If it doesn't finish, hangs, or reboots w/out finishing, you might have to test the hard drive. Go to the hard drive manufacturer's website and download the bootable diagnostic utility for your hard drive and run it.

ngacsi

ngacsi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Okay, let's try this again. I was a bit distracted when replying yesterday.

I do have one cable for the CD/DVD and one cable for the HD. The CD/DVD cable is a 40-wire ribbon cable and the HD cable is an 80-wire cable.

Computer: Dell Dimension 3000

Motherboard: Not sure

OS: Windows XP (I don't remember which SP, the machine has been
down for a while)

# HD: 1

# CD/DVD: 1

The machine is about 6 years old. I've re-seated the HD cable and I'm still getting the blue screen with the same error.

I will be away from my computer all day today but I can run the chkdsk before I leave for the office if you think that is okay to try.

Thanks,

Nancy

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
Thank you for your rectification,

So the wire (unless a bad wire) does not seem to be the problem, do as Daeemann suggested and do a checkdisk to see if any errors on your hard drive and let us know the results.

ngacsi

ngacsi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
I will run it when I get home this evening and let you know the results tomorrow morning.

Thanks,

Nancy :-)

Advertisements

ngacsi

ngacsi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Hi Alzeimer,

I went to run the chkdsk last night but there isn't a /f switch as daeemann suggested. There is only /P and /R. I'm thinking I should use /R. Is that correct?

Thanks,

Nancy

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
If your using the recovery comsole through your XP cd the option /F is not available Choose the /R one this will check your disk and try to repair the errors.

ngacsi

ngacsi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Great, thanks! I will do that and let you know the results.

~ Nancy

ngacsi

ngacsi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Hi Alzeimer,

Here are the results of the chkdsk /R:

CHKDSK is checking the volume . . .
CHKDSK is performing additional checking or recovery . . .
CHKDSK found and fixed one or more errors on the volume.
78140128 kilobytes total disk space.
24458604 kilobytes are available.

4096 bytes in each allocation unit.
19535032 total allocation units on disk.
6114651 allocation units available on disk.

What is the next step? Should I remove the CD and see if it will boot from the hard drive?

Thanks,

Nancy

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
Try to Run it again until it tells you it did not find any errors