Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Laptop smokes when charger is plugged in

• Please log in to reply

eoincruiser

eoincruiser

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi all, i have a Medion MIM2320, MD96654 and all of a sudden it turned off and smoke came out of near where the charger is plugged in so i took the charger out and it stopped smoking, i was able to turn the laptop on again with no problems, but now the battery is dead.

The smoke was an orangey colour and had a funny smell.

Sorry for my basic description but any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks

Eoin

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
either the power supply (where the power cord is plugged in) blew up (most likely given your description) or the battery died. either way somethings toasted. laptop under warranty?

eoincruiser

eoincruiser

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
No warranty, if it is the power supply are these able to be replaced and if so are they expensive?

Thanks for your reply

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
there aren't many components in a laptop that are easy to replace. i'm not sure if you can replace the power supply on your own in this laptop (not familiar with the specific hardware), you could open it up and see, but, it might require soldering