Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Motherboard or HDD problem? HELP! x

• Please log in to reply

RebekkaX

RebekkaX

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Hey, I hope I can find a geek to help me out!

When turning on my computer this afternoon it no longer wants to boot into Windows, and have no idea why. I have 2 SATa HDD's installed, but neither are being picked up in BIOS or when trying to repair/reinstall Windows.

The thing is, something must be getting picked up by the Master HDD as it gets to the Windows loading screen for a split second, a blue error screen flashes up for an even shorter amount of time, then forces a reboot of the computer. I cannot see what this blue screen says as it disappears too quick.

If both SATA HDD's were faulty, then would it not come up with a "NTDL error" or similar like when I try running the PC with them unplugged?

No changes have been made to the system and has been fine for a very long time.

Specs:

• GA-K8VT800(Pro)
  • 1GB RAM
  • 80GB SATA
  • 120GB SATA
  • Windows XP Home

Let me know if any more info is needed, and someone please HELP!

Bekka x

Advertisements

RebekkaX

RebekkaX

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
No one's gonna help me out with this?

I was hoping someone would, but seems like I'll have to try another tech forum.

:)

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
Will it boot up in Safe mode?

RebekkaX

RebekkaX

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Thanks!

No - safe mode has the same problem. It loads up like it normally would, but then resets the computer before the password screen or desktop is reached. The only difference from booting up in normal mode is that no blue screen flashes up.

Any ideas?

RebekkaX

RebekkaX

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Ok, the situation has changed slightly.

I've purchased a SATA to USB adapter so I can examine the HDD's on my second computer. The Seagate 120GB drive seems fine, although it still isn't being recognised by the BIOS or Windows installation disc in my parents computer.

The Seagate 80GB drive is being recognised by my second computer, but is saying "the file or directory is corrupted and unreadable". I'm guessing this is the source of the problem.

Does anyone know how I can repair this myself - any recommended software I can use or posting up a mini guide?

Thanks again,

Bekka

pcs365_2

pcs365_2

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
Hi,
I would like to know is this a laptop or desktop?
I would also suggest you to connect the primary hard disk which had operating system installed, and try to press F8 while startup and select "Last Known Good Configuration" option and try to boot it.

Please reply with the output...

RebekkaX

RebekkaX

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Desktop using two SATA 3.5 HDD's with Windows XP Home.

Primary drive = Seagate 80GB. Safe mode, normal mode, last known good configuration mode all suffer from the same problem - the computer reboots before getting to the password screen. BIOS & Windows disc aren't picking up on any of the HDD's despite the 120 Seagate being 'good' in other computers.

pcs365_2

pcs365_2

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
Hi,

1. Since you tried Safe Mode and Last Known Good Configuration without success then boot from a Windows XP CD.

2. When you boot from the CD do you see an option that says Press R to boot into the recovery console? If you see that option press R.

3. Once you boot into the recovery console it will ask you which Windows installation you wish to log into.

4. Press 1 and hit enter.

5. Next type the administrator password. If you don't have a password then leave it blank otherwise type it in and hit enter.

6. Next type the following commands and hit enter after each one.

fixboot
fixmbr
chkdsk /r

You may be asked to confirm an action after typing in the commands. Type Y to confirm the action if you are asked. After check disk has finished checking your harddrive type exit to quit setup. Hopefully the computer will now boot.

7. If the system still doesn't boot then power off the machine, open the case up and take out the harddrive. If you have another computer hook up the harddrive as a slave drive where you can copy all the important data off the slaved drive onto another harddrive.

RebekkaX

RebekkaX

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Windows XP Home disc is saying that the Recovery Console is not available. When trying to reinstall Windows, it cannot find either HDD.

I've used a USB SATA adapter on my second computer too access the HDD's. The 120GB drive is being accessed fine, the 80GB drive cannot be opened.

I'm looking for GetDataBackTN to recover my data, but unsure how to get the HDD working again. Do I format it again then just attempt the Windows disc again?

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
I am not sure if this an option ine XP Home but Press F8 at boot and choose "Disable Automatic Restart on System Failure" this way you might see what is written on that Blue Screen.

Edited by Alzeimer, 22 April 2010 - 02:10 PM.

RebekkaX

RebekkaX

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
^ I'm not getting the above option.

I've recovered the data on the corrupted HDD now, and reformatted it. Both SATA drives are now being registered in my second computer using the USB SATA adapter thing, but when I put the HDD's back in my parent's machine they are being recognised in the RAID option screen, but no further.

I think this is now a RAID issue, but know little about setting it up. What I don't understand at the moment is why both SATA drives are coming up as 'master' in the RAID menu - shouldn't one of them be coming up as 'slave'?