Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

WHY CANT I WINK?

• Please log in to reply

masadar

masadar

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
Well hello all i seem to have a problem with my ability to wink ive followed all the directions on this site about winks and installing them but they just wont work i downloaded all the files from matthuffy and did everything in order and they just wont work so if anyone out there can think of a reason it dont work or can help me in anyway i would GREATLY appreciate it

Advertisements

gothtec

gothtec

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
Look, buddy. "Doesn't work" is a very ambigous statement. Does it sit on the couch all day? Does it want more money? You have to specify exactly what goes wrong, what you did beforehand, how you know it's gone wrong (any error messages? post them!), and what you've tried, step by step, so we don't spend our time posting solutions that you've already tried.

masadar

masadar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Ok well instead of typing what can be linked to i downloaded the winks and the install file from matthuffys msn website and followed all the directions on his website yet when i install the MCO file installer and then place it on my desktop and try to go to my winks and double click on them i get one of 2 errors
1. The content installation failed . Please Try again later. 2. prjmcoinstaller "previouse installation incomplete!" . Ive also made sure that my msn is up and running while i try to install these and have also tryed manually putting the 3 files into my system32 folder and such as directed by other threads but to no avail so if you want anymore info just tell me what and ill try and give it to you but seeing as i just woke up this about as much as i can give so thenkas for the help!

Insanitystreak

Insanitystreak

• PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
Are your windows updates up to date. If not then its probably that.

Secondly, I do believe that you have to extract the winks to a folder of your desktop.

masadar

masadar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Ok i just downloaded the windows updates and tryed it again and still i just get the same warnings im at my wits end with this i even tryed deleting it all and reinstalling msn 7.0 then i installed the MCO installer it showed up on my desktop so i unziped the winks into a folder called winks on my desktop then i try to click on a wink and i get the installation incomplete warning everytime and my msn is still on would a firewall have something to do with this at all? any help would rock thanks ppl!! :tazz:

Impure_Soul

Impure_Soul

• Pip
  • 8 posts
I had the same problem you had lol. And yes!!! you are correct it could be the firewall, that was my problem. What firewall are you using? You might want to try unblocking the file installer, or, in worst case scenario (not recommended, only an all else fails choice) turn your firewall off and see what that does when trying to install them, just as a test of course. I would try everything else possible before doing this though. :tazz:

Insanitystreak

Insanitystreak

• PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
Yes the firewall could be preventing it coming through. When you open the folder the files should be a silver msn icon, if not then you have missed a step

Guest_matthuffy_*

Guest_matthuffy_*

Yes the firewall could be preventing it coming through. When you open the folder the files should be a silver msn icon, if not then you have missed a step

View Post

!!
Dont know if you have managed yet, but to help you i need to knoz which OS you have and what you have done. what i also suggest is, if you have manually added the files into system32 then it can cause a ccoonflict and you would have used the files from the other prog. I suggest that you uninstall the setup from your ADD/remove progs and then reinstall it, or you can just do the repair. YOU MUST ALLOW IT TO CONNECT TO THE INTERET, if you block this program you will not be able to install the winks. This is because the Certificate for these winks have to be checked by MSN and if it is not, then it will not install. so if you have bloicked it then you will have to unblock it again. this is usually the reason why people can not add the winks.

masadar

masadar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Hey all well in response to some questions...... Im running winxp Pro and freedome firewall cuz it came with my router ;) but the wink icons are indeed silver in color. And as for the firewall stuff the installer program wasnt even in the list of programs to let on the internet so i just tryed turning it off and it STILL wont let me install them so if someone can tell me all the stuff i should delete soi can start fresh maybe even a better firewall? it would rock thanks again guys i mean it!!! :tazz:

willow28

willow28

• PipPip
  • 82 posts
edited

Edited by willow28, 16 August 2005 - 10:43 PM.

Advertisements

masadar

masadar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Ok im really sorry for the stupid question here but where is this security center? i only have the freeware version of freedome firewall so i dont know where everything is unless this doesnt even have anything to do with that then my bad :tazz:

masadar

masadar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Hey guys ive got the mcoinstaller allowed on the internet and it can act as a server and it still wont let me install them i keep getting the same 2 errors everytime, the wink icons look like they are supposed to and msn 7.0 is definatly on and the program is definatly allowed on the net , ive got the winks on the desktop and everytime i click i get the content installation failed and then if i try clicking after that i get the pjmcoinstaller incomplete error. im ripping my hair out!!!!! :tazz: im totally new to alot of this stuff so bear with me if you all can is there anything else that might be blocking it? PLEASE ;)

Insanitystreak

Insanitystreak

• PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
Well if the winks are in zip file - a yellow folder with a zip on it- then you have to unzip them with the program. Once that is done you shoudl be able to fix it.

Have you tried getting rid of it and starting again following MattHuffys instructions on his site.

Guest_matthuffy_*

Guest_matthuffy_*

Hey guys ive got the mcoinstaller allowed on the internet and it can act as a server and it still wont let me install them i keep getting the same 2 errors everytime, the wink icons look like they are supposed to and msn 7.0 is definatly on and the program is definatly allowed on the net , ive got the winks on the desktop and everytime i click i get the content installation failed and then if i try clicking after that i get the pjmcoinstaller incomplete error. im ripping my hair out!!!!! :tazz:  im totally new to alot of this stuff so bear with me if you all can is there anything else that might be blocking it? PLEASE  ;)

View Post

i have the conclusion that you are not clicking the MCO files and that you are clicking the WINK INSTALLER?? you should be clicking the MCO files which are in the wink.zip folder!!!!!! you have to do them 1 by one.

I came to this conclusion after reading that you have pjmcoinstaller error!

make sure you have read what to do before doing things ;)

Guest_matthuffy_*

Guest_matthuffy_*
The MCOINSTALLER is activated by the MCO (wink) files.
the wink (MCO) filesa are not activated by the MCOINSTALLER! get it??

so, click on the winks and not the installer as nothing will happen if you click on the installer..

also if you have run the setup and you have found that you have 1 new wink after running the installer (i think it is "going crazy") then you know that the installer is working fine and that you have not read what to do properly to install the rest.

Edited by matthuffy, 24 May 2005 - 07:48 AM.