Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

I could use some advice

• Please log in to reply

juliec415

juliec415

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Just recently my computer keeps shutting down when I log on to aol 9.0.It has been showing that Microsoft has recovered from a serious error.I have two firewalls installed and I have turned off the firewall of system mechanic and windows firewall is still running.It is a dial up connection. I was wondering if the firewalls could cause this problem if both of them were running at the same time.Any advice would be appreciated.

Advertisements

Mohammad Ashraf Dar

Mohammad Ashraf Dar

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
Hi juliec415,

You can solve this problem by recreating the pagefile. To re-create the pagefile, follow these steps:

1 - Click Start.
2 - Right-click My Computer.
3 - Click Properties.
4 - On the Advanced tab, in the Performance section, click Settings.
5 - In the Virtual Memory section, click Change.
6 - For Paging file size for selected drive, click No Paging File, and then click Set.
7 - Click Yes after the following warning appears:
If the paging file on volume X: has an initial size of less than xx megabytes, then the
system may not be able to create a debugging information file if a STOP error occurs.
Continue anyway?

(X is the drive letter and xx is the amount of RAM installed on your computer minus 1
megabyte.)
8 - Click System Managed Size.
9 - Click OK four times, and then restart the computer when you are prompted

Please follow the above steps and let me know.

FNP

FNP

• PipPipPip
  • 606 posts
juliec415-

Hi and welcome to Geeks to Go! :)

Running more than one anti-virus program on your computer can slow down your system, cause program conflicts and actually leave your computer more vulnerable to infection. Pleae uninstall all but one firewall program on your computer.

It sounds like your firewalls would conflict when you opened up a new connection. This is likely the cause of your system shutdowns. If you have uninstalled all but one firewall program, you should be okay. Keep in mind that Windows Firewall is not a particulary powerful firewall. Here are a few free firewall programs I recommend:
  • Comodo Firewall- Comodo is recommended by most security professionals as the most effective free firewall program available. It boasts impressive performance and an easy-to-use interface. Be aware that when downloading Comodo you are downloading the entire Comodo Internet Security Suite, which includes a firewall and an anti-virus program. If you want to use the Comodo AV, make sure you disable and uninstall any other anti-virus programs on your computer.
  • Sunbelt-Kerio- Offers good inbound and outbound firewall protection.
  • NOTE: Please do not install more than one firewall product. Doing so can slow down your system, cause program conflicts and actually leave your computer more vulnerable to infection.

Mohammad Ashraf Dar-

What makes you think the problem relates to the virtual memory?

Mohammad Ashraf Dar

Mohammad Ashraf Dar

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
Hi,
Why do you refuse my answer always. Is there any particular reason for that? This article is been published by Microsoft (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/317277). Did you let the deseased person let to try this resolution to check if this makes any difference.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,307 posts

Just recently my computer keeps shutting down when I log on to aol 9.0.

Does the computer run normally at all other times?

Is AOL the only program that causes the shutdown?
What other browser do you use (if any)? IE or Firefox or Chrome?

123runner