Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

video cards

• Please log in to reply

goofygrmom

goofygrmom

• PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
How do I find out what my video card is?

HP model a6220n, Intel Core 2Duo E4500, Vista Home Premium, 32-bit OS.

Thanks.

Advertisements

BradMcKinley

BradMcKinley

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Onboard/Integrated Intel GMA 3100

Where you can find the driver if needed:

http://h10025.www1.h...product=3548645

You have one available spot for a PCI-Xpress graphics card.

goofygrmom

goofygrmom

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
Thanks Brad. May I ask how you found that info? I'll check out the link, too.

BradMcKinley

BradMcKinley

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Thanks Brad. May I ask how you found that info? I'll check out the link, too.

First I googled your model number and found the hp info page. I looked at the drivers page under video/graphics and saw the only possible culprit: Intel chipset/graphics integrated driver.

Then just to confirm I went to Newegg, again searched your model #, to take a look inside your computer. That's how I knew you had a PCI-X slot available for an upgrade. Plus Newegg listed the chipset number.

edit: Well this is all supposing you have not forgotten what video card you had installed before or if you acquired the PC with an upgraded graphics card.

That said:

click the start button and type device manager, then expand display adapter - In your case it may just say "Intel Graphics" if you indeed have a unmodified computer. An upgraded graphics card would list it's model like GeForce 8800 GTX or Radeon Such and such.

Edited by BradMcKinley, 20 April 2010 - 05:24 PM.

goofygrmom

goofygrmom

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
Thanks tons for explaining all that. I had gone to the HP site, too, but got a bit confused. Now I know that what I read was correct. Also, now I can look thru the start menu. Whatever graphics card I have is what came with the PC when I got it back in Nov 2008. You've been very helpful.

goofygrmom

goofygrmom

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
Info from device manager...

Intel G33/G31 Express Chipset Family

The guru at my hubby's work seems to think either my video card or monitor is going south. My monitor goes dim for a short time, then brightens back up. It had done it before and I discovered a loose connection. Fixed that and was good for a few months. Doing it again this past week. Opened the tower and gave it a good cleaning. Put it all back together again. Ok for a couple days, then it did it again. I don't have any way of connecting this monitor to a different PC. So I can't check it out. A new video card is less expensive that a new monitor.

BradMcKinley

BradMcKinley

• Pip
  • 8 posts
In my professional opinion your monitor is likely the culprit. This happens from time to time. Replace the monitor with another as a test for a while to see if it ever dims. If so, then it is 100% the video card. You could fix this by purchasing a new PCI-Xpress graphics card and plug the monitor into that.

goofygrmom

goofygrmom

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
I guess I could try my very old monitor. It seems to be ok. Thanks again for all your help.