Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Installing a new HD

• Please log in to reply

fnd17

fnd17

• Pip
  • 3 posts
If I install a new hard drive in my old laptop will that take care of a serious virus problem, or do I need to do something else?

Advertisements

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
If you change hard drive you virus will stay on the old hard drive and since most Labtops only accept one hard drive then you will have to reinstall your OS. Unless your old hard drive is not working and you do want to start from a fresh Windows instalation I would suggest reformating your present hard drive (that will erase any virus on it) and reinstall your OS on it.

Depending on the seriousness of the infection you might also try to fix your virus problem before reformating (will erase everything) this will save your personal data on it. If saving data is not an issue for you reinstalling your OS is the best way to be sure to erase any virus you have on it.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Instead of buying and installing a new hd which would mean you would need to reinstall everything, Why not just get help cleaning the infection from your current hd?

I suggest you go to the Malware Removal and Spyware Removal Forum and run all the steps located in the
START HERE. These self-help tools will help you clean up 70% of problems on your own.
If you are still having problems after doing the steps, then please post the reguested logs in THAT forum.
If you are unable to run any of the tools then start a new topic in the malware forum and put this in the subject line...I am unable to run any malware tools

If you are still having problems after being given a clean bill of health from the malware expert, then please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).

Add a link to this topic so that malware tech can see what steps have been taken here

fnd17

fnd17

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I am completely unable to run any malware removal software on that computer, the only thing I can do is turn the computer on and off by the power button. I would just like to make sure that if I do buy a new HD for it there wont be any viruses left to damage the new hard drive...

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

If you are unable to run any of the tools then start a new topic in the malware forum and put this in the subject line...I am unable to run any malware tools

Did you see the above?

If you buy a new hd then yes there would be no virus on the new drive. Now that being said if you hook the other drive up and transfer any data from the old to the new then there is a possibility of transferring the infection also.
If there is nothing physically wrong with the drive then you can do a full reformat after taking out the partition and resetting it up.
You have not said if this is a laptop or desktop.
Name brand system or custom built.
If name brand what make and model?
Depending on the infection you may not be able to save much.