Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Upgrading Motherboard

• Please log in to reply

Skinwah

Skinwah

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Hello all, I am looking to begin upgrading my PC as i just cant use it for what i want anymore (gaming). Can someone tell me what i need to know to find a compatible motherboard? I know its a pentium 4, 2.4ghz, socket 478 is this all i need to know?

Also, is it worthwhile buying a new motherboard to accomodate this processor (temporarily, until i can afford a new processor as well) or should i buy something different and hoard my components slowly until i have enough to begin the build.

Thanks for any help.

edit: I am looking at this motherboard http://www.newegg.co...N82E16813138079, but am confused as to wether it would work with my processor. My current motherboard is a dell optiplex GX270.

Edited by Skinwah, 20 April 2010 - 07:15 PM.

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi Skinwah,

Please, please don't bother wasting your time with upgrading that old machine! Start saving your pennies and let the computer die a slow and painful death... Any money you put into it now will be dead money.

I have to admit I'm surprised a motherboard with those specs even exists - all those newer goodies wasted on a 478 processor... :) That being said it is unavailable for purchase. :)

Doing some quick research on your current system reveals a lot of issues with those machines - I would enjoy it while it lasts and save the $$$ - just my opinion of course.

Cheers

Troy

Skinwah

Skinwah

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Yeah, I had a feeling that would be best. Thanks for advice, i will start gathering components :)

AzzaAaron

AzzaAaron

• PipPip
  • 19 posts

Hi Skinwah,

Please, please don't bother wasting your time with upgrading that old machine! Start saving your pennies and let the computer die a slow and painful death... Any money you put into it now will be dead money.

I have to admit I'm surprised a motherboard with those specs even exists - all those newer goodies wasted on a 478 processor... :) That being said it is unavailable for purchase. :)

Doing some quick research on your current system reveals a lot of issues with those machines - I would enjoy it while it lasts and save the $$$ - just my opinion of course.

Cheers

Troy

Solid advice, I haven't seen a PC with a socket 478 in awhile, nor a mobo, so just save up cash and upgrade to the new ones.