Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Missing system32 file

• Please log in to reply

Slowstep

Slowstep

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have a problem with my PC, it sais it is missing the <windows root>\system32\hal.dll how do i fix this without the disks? please any info would be gratefully appreciated

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Post details of PC please, Generic or branded.
Either way you could try this first, but it may well need the XP CD unless XP recovery is installed on a partition of the hard drive, usually found on some branded machines.
Click Start, click Run and type "sfc /scannow" without colons and note space between sfc and /scannow

Having re-read, It maybe and probably is that this message appears - and Windows XP will not load, please confirm

Edited by Macboatmaster, 21 April 2010 - 11:26 AM.

pcs365_2

pcs365_2

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
Hi,

# - Start the computer by using your Windows XP CD-ROM. Press any key to boot from the CD.

# - After the setup files are finished loading press R to repair using Recovery Console.
# - When you are in the recovery console, select the installation to log on to (usually number 1), and then press ENTER.
# - Login to the Administrator account by typing the password for this account, and then press ENTER.
# - At the recovery console command prompt, type the following command, and then press ENTER:

# - For Uni-Processor systems:
expand <cd-drive>:\i386\ntoskrnl.ex_ <hd-drive>:\Windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
For Multi-Processor systems:
expand <cd-drive>:\i386\ntkrnlmp.ex_ <hd-drive>:\Windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe

Note: In these two commands, the <cd-drive> placeholder represents the drive letter of your CD
drive, and the <hd-drive> placeholder represents the drive letter of the hard disk on which
windows is installed.
If you receive a prompt to overwrite the file, press Y.
Type exit, and press ENTER at the command prompt.
Back to the top

Please try the above steps and reply me with the results.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
I am of the opinion that he does not have the CD

how do i fix this without the disks? - from his first post

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
when you can't even boot into safe mode you will have to repair xp...

for the how to repair your operating system guides...
go here...

if you don't have a xp cd you will have to borrow one from a friend or coworker...

it has to be the same flavor of xp you have installed...IE: if you have xp pro...the one you borrow has to be xp pro