Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Automatically switching to active windows issue

• Please log in to reply

redleader74

redleader74

• PipPipPip
  • 195 posts
Ok, I'll try my best to articulate the issue I need help with...

Situation:
I'll have multiple web browser windows open (I use IE), say, one where I'm using Yahoo Mail, and another for AIM chat. So let's say I'm typing away in Yahoo Mail when suddenly the person I'm chatting with on AIM types something in, making that window active, suddenly the AIM window becomse active and whatever I'm typing in Yahoo Mail will suddenly go into the AIM window. Heaven forbid I'm typing so fast that I don't catch this in time and hit enter! Then suddenly whatever I was typing in Yahoo Mail will end up appearing in my AIM window in live chat (if it was something not meant for my chat buddy to see..you can imagine the trouble there!).

Same goes for if I was typing away in Yahoo Mail and I'm waiting for another page to load in another IE window. Suddenly that IE window is done loading and automatically becomes the "active" window. Now whatever I was typing in Yahoo Mail will end up going into the search box of the now active IE browser window.

Is there a way to not make windows (whether they are IE browsers, AIM chat boxes, etc.), not automatically become "active" when they are done loading or activity takes place in them? This would eliminate the problem of text accidentally going astray.

Sorry if this is a confusing way to describe the situation!

Advertisements