Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Building from Scratch

• Please log in to reply

K_Lorber

K_Lorber

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts

Definitely the Three Hundred in my opinion - just make sure you have at least one case fan on the front. Check if it comes with one already, if not then order a separate case fan to go with it.

Funny that it's cheaper than the one I was looking at originally :)

Advertisements

DaffyKantReed

DaffyKantReed

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts
Nothing wrong with the Antec 300, but I sure like Lian Li. Use two 120mm fans and you're sorted.

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16811112154
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16811112099

K_Lorber

K_Lorber

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
Only real hanging point right now is i5 vs i7. I feel like I could get away with the i5-750 without too much of a hit in performance. A previous computer I got had hyper-threading (a1514n from HP) so that is why I was looking at the i7.

K_Lorber

K_Lorber

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
If I put 6GB RAM in this machine of DDR3-1600 will that work? Or do you have to have 2 or 4 slots filled with RAM? For instance, will it only work if I have 2 RAMs in or if I have 4 in...or can I have 3 slots filled with 2 GB each?

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,839 posts
The 1156 boards are dual channel, not triple. So if you want to run 3 sticks of RAM that is fine, it will work, but they will run in single channel mode, not dual. IMO it would be best to get 4 sticks (8GB).

K_Lorber

K_Lorber

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
I assume then that two 2GB sticks would also work in dual channel mode?

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,839 posts
Yes :)

K_Lorber

K_Lorber

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
Hey guys one more noobish question here. I've heard that I shouldn't use the heatsink that comes with the processor. What are some good heatsinks that might be found at Microcenter or Best Buy that I can use as a better alternative without breaking the bank?

DaffyKantReed

DaffyKantReed

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts
If you're not overclocking the stock HSF works well enough. If you would like something better, the Hyper TX3 is of good quality and inexpensive.

http://www.microcent...duct_id=0312368

K_Lorber

K_Lorber

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
I won't be overclocking as I think the processor is powerful enough as is for my purposes. However, I really don't want to risk any damage. But if you guys say it's fine I'll go with that.

Advertisements

K_Lorber

K_Lorber

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
Working on confirming one thing - is this case fan compatible with the system proposed?

120mm R4 Series Rifle Bearing Fan

DaffyKantReed

DaffyKantReed

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts
@K_Lorber
http://www.coolermas...product_id=2916

Yes. It should come with a 3 to 4pin adapter. You want one drawing air in and one exhaust. They will be very quiet.

K_Lorber

K_Lorber

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
URGENT - I'm having an issue mounting the motherboard. I swapped out the case's original i/o shield for the one with the motherboard yet the motherboard doesn't seem to want to fit in there with those fins coming off the i/o shield. Any help?

K_Lorber

K_Lorber

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
Microcenter gave me the wrong RAM too :) They gave me 1.8v RAM and the mobo I have says don't go over 1.6. Would this mean that 1.65v would be okay to use? Not seeing 1.6v RAM at that store. So many complications so soon haha.

DaffyKantReed

DaffyKantReed

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts
The I/O shield will be unique to a given motherboard, so you need the correct one. You are right about VDIMM Max being 1.6V. I'd take the hardware back and deal with another vendor.