Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Unknown Files Appear

• Please log in to reply

Flame0103

Flame0103

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
So today I decided to run OTL after I ran System Restore due to my computer being infected with the Vista Internet Security virus and as I was running OTL my laptop shut off by itself. At first I thought I did something wrong, but it turns out it ran out of battery power. So anyway, after I plugged in my laptop, I decided to go into my main folder where my music, documents, picture, etc. folder are in. As I looked through it, I found files that weren't there before and they where faded as well, here a list:

AppData - I think the icon for this folder has changed too, but can remember if it was there in the first place.
Desktop - icon has changed to plain folder icon
Downloads - same for this one
ntuser.dat
ntuser.dat.log1
ntuser.dat.log2
NTUSER.DAT{d8932e6d-6a6f-11db-b6ab-a038f15a5785}.TM.blf
NTUSER.DAT{d8932e6d-6a6f-11db-b6ab-a038f15a5785}.TMContainer00000000000000000001.regtrans-ms
NTUSER.DAT{d8932e6d-6a6f-11db-b6ab-a038f15a5785}.TMContainer00000000000000000002.regtrans-ms
ntuser.ini

As well as other folders that where shortcuts to folders I had in my computer.

Any explination to why they popped up so suddenly? What are they? Can I just erase them? I erased the shortcuts since, well, there shortcuts so no harm no foul. Plus, the icon to my download and desktop folders have changed in plain folder icons.

Thank you in advance.

Advertisements

Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Ralphie

• Retired Staff
  • 47,710 posts
They are all legit, don't delete them

You need to re-hide hidden files/folders now

daeemann

daeemann

• PipPipPip
  • 178 posts
click on the start menu, click on control panel, click on appearance and personalization, click on folder options, click on view tab, go to "Hidden files and folders" and make sure that "Do not show show hidden files and folders" is checked, place a checkmark on Hide protected operating system files, click apply and ok.

If you deleted anything:

Try using the System File Checker

1. left click start, left click All Programs, right click Command Prompt, left click Run As Administrator, click allow when prompted for confirmation.

2. Type: sfc /scannow

Edited by daeemann, 23 April 2010 - 11:40 PM.

Scony

Scony

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Guys, I have a 'files appearing' problem too, but not caused by file manager settings. Several thousand files with the following naming formats have appeared in the Documents folder in Windows 7

hpc__002.abt

hpc__002.bff

hpc__002.kbt

hpc__002.lff

hpc__012.vbt

hpc__012.wff

Along with these specific files: HPC.RDT, HPC.RDX, hpc__011.sav, HPC.SEC, HPC.NDX

Also, all the documents in My Documents and Pictures are now listed in Documents - which I have not seen before.

Any ideas?

Many thanks in advance, John

Fusionbomb

Fusionbomb

• PipPipPip
  • 634 posts

If you didn't notice the weird files/folders before the OTL crash, maybe try doing a system restore again and keeping the battery plugged in during your next scan(s).  :prop:

Scony

Scony

• Pip
  • 4 posts

A bit more info about my post

The new files are not fully squential, for example: hpc__000.abt   hpc__002.abt   hpc__005.abt numbered right up to hpc_7496.abt  Same for files with bff, kbt, lff, vbt, and wff suffixes

The contents of 'My Documents' and 'Pictures' are also now listed in the 'Documents' folder, and I don't think this was the case before the new files appeared. (they are still listed in My Documents and Pictures as well)

Just trying to find out what has happened, what created these files and why, and was hoping someone might recognise the naming convetion and file suffixes

Cheers

Edited by Scony, 27 May 2015 - 12:04 PM.

Fusionbomb

Fusionbomb

• PipPipPip
  • 634 posts

Scony,

I am very sorry for the confusion.  I had not noticed this thread was 5 years old.  We will be glad to look into your problem, but please create a new topic in this section with the following:

1)  State the problem (you may copy/paste from what you've already posted),
2)  When did this occur?
3)  Had anything changed before you noticed the issue?  (updated drivers, hardware/software installation, etc?)
4)  Brand/Model of your computer (if custom build, please list key components) and OS version

3Al62Pm.pngMiniToolBox

• Download MiniToolBox and move the executable file to your Desktop;
  • Execute MiniToolBox and check the following options:
    • Select All

• MiniToolBox-Fix-290x290.jpg

• Once this is done, click on Go and wait for the scan to complete;
  • Once the scan is complete, a log will open. Please copy/paste the content of the output log in your new thread;

Scony

Scony

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Thanks GeekU, have done this now

Cheers