Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PCI Express 2.0 x16 vs x4

• Please log in to reply

dnaghitorabi

dnaghitorabi

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
Hello everyone. I am going to be building a new AMD PC within the next few months, and I just had one question. I have already built one PC in the past, so it's not as much about the building process as it is about PCI Express 2.0 slots. I had a good ~$1,000 build put together on newegg.com, with a Phenom II X4 945, 4GB DDR3 1600, and an HD 5850. I just noticed that my motherboard has one PCI Express 2.0 slot in x16 mode and the other in x4 mode. I understand that x16 mode processes at a faster rate, so if down the rode I added another HD 5850 for a crossfire configuration, would the x4 slot significantly impact the performance to the point that it would not be worth crossfiring?

This is the motherboard: http://www.newegg.co...N82E16813131398

I look forward to your responses.

Edited by dnaghitorabi, 21 April 2010 - 01:22 PM.

Advertisements

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
Unless it is certified Crossfire ready then you cannot use two cards and unless I am mistaken the board you are talking about is not (Asus M4A785TD-V EVO).

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
actually that board will run crossfire but...the blue @ x16 mode and gray one @ x4 mode)

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
Thanks happyrock for correcting my mistake, I must have read the review wrong.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
and to answer dnaghitorabi original question...

would the x4 slot significantly impact the performance to the point that it would not be worth crossfiring?

you will get addition frame rates but...
if your a hardcore gamer you will want a mobo that supports 2 slots at x16

dnaghitorabi

dnaghitorabi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Thanks for the quick responses guys. Let's just say my budget increased via some careful "persuasion". So this is my new motherboard with 2 x16 slots:

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16813131392

I also got to bump the processor to the Phenom II 965 and I got the Power Supply to 750W (Crossfire Ready) instead of the 700W. Thanks though, I wasn't sure if the x4 slot would be a factor, but I see that it would be.

(ps. I can't wait to build this PC with the Antec 1200; it's gonna be nice. I also don't know why I spelled "road" wrong in my first post.)